Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hirasabir01
Returning Member

Can I file my father as a dependent if he has no earned income but he filed married filing jointly with my mom who earned income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file my father as a dependent if he has no earned income but he filed married filing jointly with my mom who earned income?

@hirasabir01 wrote:

To whom does the $4300 limit apply to? My father had no income at all but my mother's income was more then $25,100. He is disabled and was unemployed. And I provided more then half of my father's support including rent, travel expenses, groceries and so on. Does he disqualifies to be my dependent because of my mother's income even though I did provide more then half of the support?

Yes, that disqualifies you from being able to claim him as your dependent.  The $4,300 income requirement is not relevant since he filed a joint tax return with his spouse and the income entered on the joint tax return required that the return be filed.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

No, you cannot claim him as a dependent since he filed a Married Filing Jointly tax return.

hirasabir01
Returning Member

Thanks for your response. But I read online that there are some exceptions like "If your parent files a joint tax return solely to get a refund, you can claim him or her as a dependent. Your parent must not have a gross income of $4,300 (in 2021) a year or more."

Can I claim him as a dependent under this condition?

@hirasabir01 wrote:

Thanks for your response. But I read online that there are some exceptions like "If your parent files a joint tax return solely to get a refund, you can claim him or her as a dependent. Your parent must not have a gross income of $4,300 (in 2021) a year or more."

Can I claim him as a dependent under this condition?

If their 2021 Adjusted Gross Income on the joint tax return was greater than $25,100 or if both were age 65 or older $27,800 then they were required to file a tax return and the exception would not apply.

If that is not the case, you still must provide over one-half his support to claim him as a dependent.

Use the support worksheet form IRS Publication 501 page 16 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf#page=16

JulieS
Expert Alumni

The meaning of this exception is that the joint return was not required to be filed because the income was too low to require that they file a return. 

The standard deduction for married filing jointly is $25,100, if their total income is less than that and no return was required for a different reason, you could claim your father as a dependent if you otherwise qualify to do so. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hirasabir01
Returning Member

To whom does the $4300 limit apply to? My father had no income at all but my mother's income was more then $25,100. He is disabled and was unemployed. And I provided more then half of my father's support including rent, travel expenses, groceries and so on. Does he disqualifies to be my dependent because of my mother's income even though I did provide more then half of the support?

@hirasabir01 wrote:

Yes, that disqualifies you from being able to claim him as your dependent.  The $4,300 income requirement is not relevant since he filed a joint tax return with his spouse and the income entered on the joint tax return required that the return be filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies