turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

can i exclude capital improvements upon sale of a house that is not my primary residence

There is a 500k$ exclusion to capital gains on our primary residence. Can we also exclude capital improvements? If so, is there a limit to the capital improvement exclusion? 

What about a house that is NOT our primary residence. I know there is no basic exclusion but can we exclude capital improvements?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

can i exclude capital improvements upon sale of a house that is not my primary residence

Cost basis =  purchase price + cost to buy + cost to sell + improvements 

Sale price -  cost basis =  profit / loss 

@rhodion 

you include the capital inprovments, because it reduces the gain.....

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

For either your primary residence or any other property, you don't "exclude" capital improvements. The cost of capital improvements is added to your basis. You use the basis, including the capital improvements, to calculate your gain. For your primary residence only, the exclusion is then applied to your gain.

Carl
Level 15

That makes no sense to me. If you exclude capital improvements, that will increase your capital gain. Perhaps you mis-typed that and meant to say "IN"clude capital improvements?

Several replies to my question have pointed out my incorrect usage of tax terms. Although I am not a tax expert, I am a scientist and so I should know better than to use imprecise language. Let me ask again with care:

1. Can I add the costs of capital improvements to my cost basis if the house was not our primary residence?

2. Is there a limit to the amount of capital improvement costs that I can add to the basis for either a primary or non-primary residence?

1. Can I add the costs of capital improvements to my cost basis if the house was not our primary residence?   Yes ... forever and always.

2. Is there a limit to the amount of capital improvement costs that I can add to the basis for either a primary or non-primary residence?  No limits ... just keep the records if you are audited. 

@rhodion 

1. Can I add the costs of capital improvements to my cost basis if the house was not our primary residence?

Yes you can.  As stated previously you can add the cost of improvements to the cost basis of a residence that is not your primary residence. 

2. Is there a limit to the amount of capital improvement costs that I can add to the basis for either a primary or non-primary residence?

No.   There is not a limit on the amount of improvements made to a non-primary residence.

TomD8
Level 15

Be sure you understand the difference between a capital improvement and a repair.  You can add the cost of capital improvements to your cost basis; you cannot add the cost of repairs.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitalimprovement.asp

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

You are mixing  up terms inconsistently.

1. ONLY in the case of a house that qualifies as a personal residence, a married couple can "exclude" (reduce the taxable proceeds received) $500,000 [single person $250,000].  That only applies to a personal residence and not any other owned house, residence or other assets.  Such an exclusion is beneficial in that it reduces the capital gains that are taxable.

2. In the case of any asset, applicable improvements made after purchase are added to the cost basis and thus reduce the capital gains liability.  In the specific case of a house, and which house is not a personal residence, the same matter of increasing the cost basis applies for costs undertaken for improving or expanding the house.  Note that costs such as normal maintenance are not improvements.  Note also that the "exclusion" is not available for a house which is not a personal residence.

====================================================

Your last posting which seems to have not received a response:

There is a 500k$ exclusion to capital gains on our primary residence. Can we also exclude capital improvements? If so, is there a limit to the capital improvement exclusion? 

What about a house that is NOT our primary residence. I know there is no basic exclusion but can we exclude capital improvements?

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies