turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

somos321

Can I claim my children as living with me for the whole year if they are with their father every other weekend and then 4 weeks in summer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I claim my children as living with me for the whole year if they are with their father every other weekend and then 4 weeks in summer?

Yes, if they lived with you more than  half the year (183 nights).   6 months is half the year and 7 months is more than half the year.     Selecting the whole year is exactally the same as 7 months.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you are asked how many months they lived with you answer truthfully, about 9 months.  As long as they lived with you more than half of the year, you are the custodial parent which is the important determination for tax purposes. 

based on what you said, it appears the father had custody for more time than you did, namely more than half the year.

You can't claim them.

How do you figure that?  Even if you consider a "week end" to be 3 days then that is still only about 108 days. ((3 X 52) / 2) + 30 = 108.   If the weekend is 2 days then ((2 X 52) /2 + 30) = 82. (assuming 4 weeks is an average of 30 days +/- a couple of days).   Much less than the 183 nights for half the year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@fanfare" Every other weekend"  ----  26 weekends  + 4 weeks does not equal over 183 nights.  Mother claims them.

@somos321 Are you the custodial parent?  Do you have an agreement with the other parent to allow the other parent to claim them--due to divorce or that you live apart and share custody?  Did one of you sign a Form 8332?

If there is a signed 8332 then the custodial parent retains the right to file as Head of Household, get earned income credit and the childcare credit + education credits if the child is a full-time college student.  The non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit for children under the age of 17.

As far as the IRS is concerned, the custodial parent is the one with whom the child spent the most nights during the tax year--at least 183 nights.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies