Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I check AMT carryover amount from 10 yrs ago? It is sizable and believe to be an error. In 2018 getting sizable AMT credit and concerned it is inaccurate.

ReneeM7122 - What do I do if I don't have a letter from the IRS yet but I can see that I have the same issue as dozens of others?  Do you really recommend that I sit around and wait until I get a letter and accumulate more penalties before doing anything about it?  I have tried to call TT 4 times now and after hours on the phone all I have received are multiple closed tickets and no resolution.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Specifically - In 2012, TT software pulled into Form 8801 (line 19) the 2011 credit carryforward from 2011 Form 6251 Alternative Minimum Taxable Income (line 1).  IRS instructions indicate that the 2011 credit carryforward comes from the prior year Form 8801 (line 28).  This is a TT software error.

Can I check AMT carryover amount from 10 yrs ago? It is sizable and believe to be an error. In 2018 getting sizable AMT credit and concerned it is inaccurate.

Hi everyone,

Nice dialogue here.  As I have stated before, TurboTax as a public company should address this REAL issue.  Too many people have shown true problems.  The problem is evidence.   I do not have it as I only have returns  to 2011.   I have heard from several people that the carryover issue happens from 2009 to 2010.  I am out of luck to fight with evidence.  If you can show, then you should defend until the very end. We all will cheer you on.

I also am being audited for our 2018 return.  After many hours of research, I have confirmed the problem began in 2008-2009 as the software transferred the AMT taxable income from the prior year return as opposed to the carryforward credit.  Being 75 years of age, I have used TT for many, many years and am truly disappointed we were not notified of the software problem.

Yup, another one here with the same issue. We have our tax returns going back many years and can see that 2008 was correct with no form 8801. In 2009, form 8801, line 19: "2008 credit carryforward. Enter the amount from your 2008 Form 8801, line 31" but instead of looking at 2008 form 8801 (which we did not have), it pulled line 31 from Form 6251. 

We talked to IRS and they are aware of this being a TT issue. However when we talked to TT, submitted accuracy guarantee claim, it was denied in the first round. I'd recommend submitting returns going back to show the first time the carryover appeared if you have it. They are saying that users are manually entering this number, but they need to go back and check how they mapped this field in the software back in 2009, as from this thread there are multiple users that all see that as the start date. Turbo Tax needs to figure it out - so everyone please keep calling TT to let them know about this issue!

pdguerr

adventurer, my 2018 return was audited and TT tax audit defense sent an answer asking to waive the penalty, 8k . And I plan on filing a claim with TT audit defense whatever their response. What I have just started thinking about is should I go back and file an amended return for 2019? Wondering if this might avoid penalty or if I should just  wait and see? You said  IRS was aware that this is a TT issue, anyone think they are targeting TT returns to audit them 

Hi - I am maryfrances10 on the TT thread regarding people being audited for a carryover that was a turbo tax error.  I'm in touch with a class action attorney who is working on this case.  any information you can share would be helpful.  if you would like to be part of our suit and try to get some restitution from TT, please reach out to me maryfcwilson(at)googleemaildomain - figure it out - they won't allow exact address

or you can message me at ... five four zero, four five zero, four one nine six

Mary Wilson 

Virginia

lvfd
Returning Member

Hi, This happened to me as well and cost us thousands of dollars that we now owe not including penalties.  This is terrible.   

it is terrible!  and turbo tax KNOWS it was THEIR mistake.  I will not stop searching for a class action firm to take our case.  I have spoken to one who is very interested.  I will keep everyone posted.  if TT was an ethical company they would have addressed this years ago and they would help us now.  I intend to make them pay if it is the last thing I do!!

Has anyone gotten resolution on this from Turbo Tax?

Not yet... working on it and in pursuit of a class action suit.  If you can track where your specific error occurred and have printed copies of all returns, that will help

Curious what you ended up doing? Did you file a successful claim with TT?

Did the Audit Defense get the penalty or the interested waived?

Hi MaryFrancis and others, I just got my second audit letter, the first was for 2018 and this one for 2019. Same issue a TURBOTAX error from 2009/2010 carryover of AMT tax credit!  Has anyone been successful in using Audit Defense (Turbotax) or 100% Accuracy to get penalty, interest or underpayment waived?

Has anyone been successful getting Turbo Tax accuracy guarantee to admit and cover this? I was just denied (based on 2019 calculations) and went back explaining that the error was from 2012. I have all of my tax returns and can clearly see the error. However, I do not have my 2012 disk with the actual software.

We are all in the same position with the same error from the same year and no, they will not admit to the error and I did not get any money back from their guarantee.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies