turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can I check AMT carryover amount from 10 yrs ago? It is sizable and believe to be an error. In 2018 getting sizable AMT credit and concerned it is inaccurate.

Again.  Another customer.   Let me reiterate.

I realize this is outside of 6 years but TurboTax should provide that information to its customers.  If we are all wrong, then let us know that too.   

Based on other people having the same issue, TurboTax must be aware of a known issue.  It's their business.  It's like Ford Motor Company knowing of a brake issue on its 2007 Mustang.  They KNOW.

TurboTax should provide a forum for customers to submit this issue as a claim and people should be compensated for the software error.  TurboTax should first ADMIT the error existed and second pick up the tab.

Can I check AMT carryover amount from 10 yrs ago? It is sizable and believe to be an error. In 2018 getting sizable AMT credit and concerned it is inaccurate.

TurboTax guarantees the accuracy of its returns.  If you have an issue with a prior year return and have received a letter for audit from the IRS,  you can contact the audit support team for assistance.  Please click here for the link.

@pdguerr

@leopa

I, too, got a letter from the IRS about my 2018 return and the issue is a AMT carryover as well. 

This seems to be a problem with TT and I cannot get any answers from TT support and a CPA I asked about it said it must have been some sort of error. I've used TT for over a decade.

HELP my tax bill is $14,000 ($4000 of which is penalty and interest)

This is wrong.

If you filed with TurboTax in 2018 and do not have your 2018 return, you can sign into TurboTax with the userid that you filed with in 2018 and download your 2018 return.  

Go to Tax Home and then Reports and Documents at the bottom of the page.  Click on 2018 and download the 2018 pdf.

If you need to amend the 2018 return follow the directions on the screen.  

You generally must file an amended return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

I'm not sure you understand my problem. I have my 2018 return and I have been audited because of a Turbo Tax error from my years ago that has passed through each year in the carryover credit line.

Yes, I understand I should have noticed this but this is why I use Turbo Tax---because I'm not an expert AND I expect Turbo Tax to flag BIG errors like I know they do every year---except this one, apparently.

So, your answer about how to download an old tax return really isn't very helpful.

Yes it appears that  TT had error in 2009 software, it allowed significant $$$ AMT credit and subsequent carryover. I belive it picked up an income amount and turned it into a credit.  TT should compensate all of us for interest and penalties.

Yes same issue had to pay $10000, $2000 penalty. TT moderator, will TT help us by paying for your error?

Yes, I do not have older tax return (pre-2013) as we had a hard drive crash so I couldn't tell where the error began but from what I can see from 2012 carryover line on the 2013, it looks like it was a an income amount that went into the credit line and Turbo Tax should immediately flagged that as an error to check. 

You most likely need to get 2009 to 2012 tax returns to find error.

Right-- I don't have them (hard drive crash), Turbo Tax does not have them and the IRS website only goes back 6 years as well.

I am considering looking into a class-action lawsuit over this matter as it appears, from initial perusing of the message boards, that this has happened to several of us in the same year with the same issue which resulted in audits down the line along with penalties, interest and so far a lot of stress and sleep-less nights. Awesome timing during a Pandemic after I was furloughed. 

I will not be using Turbo Tax any longer. Not that they truly care. (I know, people tell us all the time they won't fly our airline again and it's like. Ok. You have choices)

Do you have the means and experience to do a class action suit. Keep me informed if you do. I know the exact location of the error in 2009. 

I've worked for a law firm so I understand some of what would be needed and I did a little research into it. I'm still mulling over if I want to go further. We'll see if I get anything back from Turbo Tax first. If not, yes, I think the next step is contacting an attorney about filing a class action lawsuit due to this bug in the system from over 10 years go. It would have been nice to get a notice from Turbo Tax when this was discovered so that I could have avoided all this stress from the IRS. Mistakes happen but covered up mistakes from a big corporation are wrong.

I would just like TurboTax to advise on issues from 2009.  Why can’t we just admit there was an  error?   Most of us don’t have software that far back.  As a public company, this should be transparent to all customers.  

I have this same issue and traced it back to the 2012 return prepared using TT.  I spent several hours trying to get someone at TT to help and was told that I need to get a letter from the IRS before they will do anything.  It is hard to believe that TT does not know about this issue.  Disappointed!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies