Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkirsch22

Can I can I choose not to list children over 20 as dependents even if they meet all 6 qualifications as dependents.

They already filed on there own as non dependents.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I can I choose not to list children over 20 as dependents even if they meet all 6 qualifications as dependents.

you don't have to claim any dependents.

While the answer "no" you don't have to is correct, it's not complete.  The question shouldn't be do you have to, but do you want to.  The ideal scenario would be to determine the best scenario for the family as a whole.  I.E. what is the total tax paid if you claim all of your legitimate dependents as opposed to your filing without and the dependents filings for themselves.  If the family is better off with you claiming the dependents and the dependents are willing to forgo their own filings...I would think they can file an amended claim to change their status and allow you to claim them if they are indeed legitimate dependents on your claim.

@gsbowers49 

Your thinking is the way many people approach the problem.

However, dependents are not allowed to state they cannot be claimed, if that is not true.

The rule is often ignored.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies