Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SashaW26

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

I filed my taxes on February 12th. I have called and spoke with IRS agents multiple times I keep going in circles and they keep telling me something different every time I call. My last call the agent decided to hang up on me!

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Same exact thing..i filed my taxes february 7th exactly and get the same message and have even gotten a letter back in May saying they need more time and I do not need to do anything..(basically means i CANT do anything)..its now almost 7 months later and no refund or explanation!!! Have you gotten urs yet? Or any answers?

What was the outcome? I filed feb 7th and still havent gotten mine.. did u get them or info??
SashaW26

No I have not received mine yet or any explanation. I just think it’s so ironic that when the IRS is owed money from someone they make sure that they get it however they can but when it comes to some of us working citizens we are given no explanation and have to wait forever. Some people’s income relies on their refund and they can’t afford to keep waiting months and months or however long. And they supposedly have this hardship thing yeah that whole thing is a joke and everyone I spoke with was VERY RUDE!. I was in no way rude to them at all and gave them no reason to be to me. It’s as if they see themselves higher than others just because they work at a call center/data processing center.

Oh my gosh, this worked!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I needed to call the IRS to discuss something and was getting the dreaded "high call volume come back tomorrow HAHAHAHAH!!!!! >click<" message. I did this, got to an agent and she took care of me.  This is awesome.

Thanks again!!!!

Lofton900
Returning Member

Hi u doing I want too know can u put a pine on my Social Security

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

IRS telephone hours are 7 am to 7 pm your local time.

From my experience, the earlier you call in the morning, the better your chances of talking to a person.

The IRS would like you to use their online services like Where’s my refund, etc. but sometimes you just need to talk to someone.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks much! This worked!

When is every one is getting there taxes back 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

See IRS Where’s my refund?

See this IRS news release under heading Most refunds sent in less than 21 days; however, some require further review and take longer.

• “Even though the IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 days, some tax returns require additional review and take longer to process than others.”
  • “The IRS reminds taxpayers that, by law, the IRS cannot issue refunds claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) before mid-February.“

DoninGA thank you so much for this!! I got through and spoke with someone!! Forever greatful my friend!

I need answer on my taxers

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Champ DoninGA provided an answer on how you can get through to the IRS.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/call-the-irs-1-800-829-1040-hours-7-am-7-pm-local...

Was there some other question you had?

@Atown15 Who knows! I have been waiting for a month now! I have been checking on the "Where's my refund?" and no bars just said Tax Topic 152, refund information. Then I got a letter 4464C and it tells me nothing but it is verifying my tax return for accuracy and can take up to 60 days and even better it tells me that once they finish their review we may send you refund, ask for additional information, or DENY ALL OR PART OF MY REFUND! Then I should contact them after 60 days...no I am not waiting 60 days! They sure as heck don't wait 60 days or more when they need it out of my paycheck. I tried reaching out to the Taxpayer Advocate Services and because I do not have an electric bill stating I am in process of getting my lights shut off they can not help me. Well, I guess my only avenue is to call directly to the IRS. They gave me the number and hung up. I am so frustrated!

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You may try calling an IRS service center rather than the national IRS phone number for assistance.  Use this link Taxpayer Assistance Center Office Locator it find the phone number and address of the IRS Assistance Center closest to your location.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies