Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

It worked for me.  After the last option (2) it asked for SS# and then gave me several options to choose from.  At the end of those options offered if you don't select one.  The system will prompt you to hold and then put you in the calling cue.  The system will give you a wait time.  Mine was 15/20 min. The above information was the best I received after trying for over a week.  You would think it shouldn't be this complicated and they would be prepared for calls and allow you to just select "0" to speak to someone.  This process is unbelievable and feels like a deterrent to make you hang up instead.

I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Finally that worked! I spoke with a very nice gentleman who told me that the Where's My Refund app is not working (so frustrating) but helped me with what was going on with my account. What finally worked was what Bernadinetejeda suggested.

Those options worked for me. I had a two minute wait.
sh43591

worked for me i'm on hold now, thank you
JenCole

1 hour 45 min hold time...then real live person...ugh
phetsala

So i tried,1 for English, then the following, 2, 2, 1.  I finally got through.

phetsala-- this works! However, the lady was unable to help me :( but I am happy that I was actually able to speak to a person. Thank you.
robbeier

Tried four times today starting at 7 533 AM, the system is designed to exit calls at the first opportunity. I received 2 different "topics" not covered and an auto hang up. I received two different "call volume" unable to answer "check online or call back on the next business day,  I suspect the call team is sparse before 9 AM ET.

I was finally able to get a hold of someone. I had to call at 7 AM EST exactly. Didn't have to stay on hold for a long time

I finally got through I got the direct  number 800 829 0922. 15 minute wait but great results

Thank you so much you have no idea how much this just helped me 🙂

It works..kind of. The IRS just hung up on me 3 times after doing this, saying the wait tie was too long....
azhaardgs

It worked for me too, long wait time but was eventually connected and the lady was able to resolve my issue.

Seriously.......................I hate the IRS

How is it possible to assemble all the dumb asses of the world into one government organization designed to take advantage of the people that do all the work in this country? These folks have held my tax return for 'possible identity theft' and I have verified that there is only one tax return filed in my name, and it was the one I filed. Now after waiting since March I call in and wait an hour to talk to someone and they tell me that they forgot to process my response and now I get to wait 9 weeks again and then can call back to see if they took care of it. FML........
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies