Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Mar
Level 3

Bug report - joint return w/deceased spouse efile rejected by IRS

I tried re-filing today with the online version  I clicked through My Info and reset the AGI  to the same (correct) number.  I still get rejected with a code of IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-selected PIN from last year does not match IRS record.  My husband is the primary taxpayer listed on the program and there is no option to send (or reset) his PIN.  The AGI is correct as verified by IRS tax transcript from our joint 2018 tax return.  I wonder if the people who have now been able to successfully refile are the primary tax filers listed on the return.

Yes...I was the primary on my and spouse's tax returns for several years. I had the same problem as you did when I tried filing the final joint tax return (spouse died in September 2019). I posted a lengthy post with details (I have a background in IT, project management, business analysis, and software development) and used my knowledge from software development to theorize the scenario that TT wasn't able to handle. 

Apparently, the TT administrators removed my lengthy post from this board; maybe someone did not like the traffic that my message attracted, maybe the detail that I provided in that message, and maybe even the success I had with filing the joint return with no problems using an alternate program.

pakeck5

So this issue was reported early in January 2020.  I am trying to help my Mother in law through this loss by e-filing her taxes with Turbo Tax, but also getting same error message even though I have copies of last years AGI reported number number.   We purchased Turbo tax for ease of e-filing reporting but keep reading that the best option is to mail in taxes or try the free tax software and see if it accepts it there.   

Has this bug since then been fixed?  Or recommendation is still to file via mail.  

I would try the alternative tax program, but  my tax return is lengthy and involved.  Really don't like that as my only option.

Mar
Level 3

I sent another email to the OfficeofthePresident @ intuit.  After looking into my case, they said that they had fixed this software bug, but since I had already attempted to efile 3 times with the same error code, the IRS had locked any future attempts at efiling and so I would have to mail in a paper return.

I just sent them an email asking if they could communicate with the IRS regarding this software bug so that those of us affected could efile, but it seems like a long shot.

** Yes, as I suspected they said they could not resolve any of this with the IRS.

Personally it feels like they are just making excuses.  In my case I had only efiled once before they supposedly "fixed" the issue.  The retry would have been the 2nd attempt and it was rejected as well with the same AGI message.  I know the AGI is not incorrect.  Likely my last year with this product.  

Mar
Level 3

@peclarkjr  Thank you for sharing.  I had been wondering if those with less than three attempts had successfully filed after the (partial) fix.  I did see a few posts where people had been able to file.  What might be different for those of us who haven't been able to?

@MarHonestly not sure.  Someone mentioned the idea that maybe it was related to the deceased party being the primary taxpayer.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it but in my case (I am helping my mother) my father was the primary tax payer and is now deceased.  Perhaps there is still a bug with that.  It is frustrating for sure.  I know mailing will delay her refund significantly due to the current circumstances in the country so I was trying to avoid that.

I am most disheartened with their lackadaisical response to this problem.  First it is happening to people like me who have already had to deal with a significant loss in their life.  I can't believe that they would not be in dialogue with the IRS to open up more times to e-file, if that is the case.  I am not sure it is due to the fact that the same error code comes back.  Wouldn't it be more likely that the error code would be different such as you have tried to e-file too many times.   I blame Turbo Tax for telling us that they fixed it or to try this or that if that indeed was the case and you could only try it so many times.  I again, do not want to mail in my tax returns as I read many reports that they are just sitting there during COVID-19; along with the fact that I think that could cause more errors/problems. 

Does Turbo Tax even read this...

Great question: "Does TurboTax even read this ...". Like many others who have encountered this error, I am a very unsatisfied TurboTax customer. Since others who received this error successfully completed and e-filed their returns using a competitor's tax software, I plan to do the same. My state return is due on June 1; therefore, next week I plan to use another company's product to complete and e-file my federal and state tax returns. 

@elly01  I hope that you will put the competitor's name here.  At least we will know if Turbo Tax is reading it. (As one other reader said that they deleted his/her post)  I hope also that you will let us know on the other company if it is accepted even though the Turbo Tax says it is because we have tried to e-file to many times.   Are you paying more money for another product? As I said before my tax return is pretty extensive, I really hate to have to put in all the information again. 

This  makes me upset too, I have been a loyal Turbo Tax customer for over 20 years.  I think I will try calling again next week if I can stamina enough patience.

Mar
Level 3

@shellypn Even though I did not want to re-enter all the information, I was very curious as to whether my return might be accepted through another software despite already having been rejected more than 3 times.  I used FreeTaxUSA and I am happy to report that my federal return was finally accepted within about 15 minutes.  FreeTaxUSA asked for both my husband's and my previous year pin (TT only asked for my pin) as well as the prior year AGI (which I entered the same as I had been entering in TT).

So probablyTurbo Tax has not completely fixed its bug or perhaps changing software caused the IRS system to reconsider my return and not automatically reject it.

I've applied the latest release update (5-14-2020) and resubmitted the return, still gets rejected with

What happened

IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

I submitted a diagnostics return to Turbotax, token is 658934.

Come on Turbotax, squash this bug!

@laomedon wrote:

I submitted a diagnostics return to Turbotax, token is 658934.

Come on Turbotax, squash this bug!

Unless you are talking to a TurboTax customer service rep on the phone and they ask for a diagnostic file, then just submitting one does no good whatsoever.  Nobody can see it without the code and nobody that can look at it reads this  user-to-user forum. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I found out how to avoid getting that error message! My FIL passed away last year. My MIL is the surviving spouse. I kept getting the same error message when I e-filed that many people have posted about. I switched the order of the two names, to put my MIL first, and the return was accepted within one hour! I was able to keep the deceased box checked for my FIL and I put "widowed" for my MIL.  Yay! Didn't have to submit by paper!  TT experts should say to try this, and the TT software should say it as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies