Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BUG: Cant uncheck "Paid Minnesota alternative minimum tax in a prior year" I have tried from Multiple computers.

Everytime I uncheck it, the system rechecks it, and starts asking me to enter information from last years return on my AMT return, which does not exist.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

BUG: Cant uncheck "Paid Minnesota alternative minimum tax in a prior year" I have tried from Multiple computers.

Look at a copy of your federal return to see if Form 6251 (Alternative Minimum Tax) was generated.  If it was, enter any amounts for the items on the AMT screen in your MN return.

If a Form 6251 was not generated in your federal return, just ignore the questions on the MN Alternative Minimum Tax screen and click Continue.

The Minnesota Department of Revenue determines if you owe AMT by comparing your “regular income” (normal tax calculation) to your “AMT income” (normal tax calculation with certain deductions added back). We compare your tax on your regular income and AMT income using Schedule M1MT, Alternative Minimum Tax. You must pay whichever tax amount is higher.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree with the others who are saying there likely is a bug in MN Turbo Tax. The box is perpetually checked indicating we "paid MN Alternative Minimum Tax in a prior year". This is an error and should not be checked. Please issue a fix for MN Turbo Tax, as it is causing many of us to look through back years scratching our heads, wondering where in the heck Turbo Tax is getting this information from. You have a good product, but this is an annoying bug and should be easy to correct.

Agree 100%. This is definitely a bug. Please fix it! I spent way too much time trying to sort this out just to end up here and have someone tell me to ignore it. 🙁

Same thing for me, tried three different browsers to no avail. Cannot locate a proper means to report what appears to be a bug.

@Cynthiad66 

it was NOT generated for any of us and we can't uncheck the box. We can't "ignore" it because it stays checks and then starts asking for numbers on the 6251 Form that doesn't exist!

Yep same issue here.. PLEASE FIX INTUIT

Correction I am on the desktop version of the software and it is messed up here too..

Viana161
Returning Member

The same here. 

schu79

Same issue here

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

This experience has been sent to our developers who are looking into a solution or a workaround.  Please continue to check in this thread for updates, and continue to run updates on the software.  We are striving to have a solution or a workaround at least by the start of e-filing season on February 12.  Thank you for your patience.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just ran into this as well. I swear, every year it is something new with Turbotax. I'm ready to call it quits and pay an accountant to take care of this, spend some money and save a headache. What is the status on this fix? I'm near the end of filing and need to uncheck this box I would assume.

@Ibanezguy30 Refer to the post immediately before yours. Just a few hours ago a rep said they were planning to have it fixed before February 12, the first day of tax season. You can hire an accountant, but they couldn't file before then anyway. 🙂

I have the same error 2/6/21, very frustrating.  Thank-you for replying and letting everyone know that you are working on it.  

It looks like the MN AMT checkbox error has been fixed 2/11/21.  I didn't get an e-mail like I thought I had signed up for but I just went into TT and it did it's usual updates and I didn't get stuck on the checkbox looks like they changed it to ask whether you paid AMT previously.  Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies