turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 17 on W2 is blank, should I file State return?

My daughter (student) got a W2 while working at non profit organization. The box 17 is blank on her W2 and the total money she made is less than California standard deduction. Should she file California return?

I would assume "not needed" but when preparing her Federal tax return, it offered to continue filing California return. After completing the state return it clearly shows her taxable income is 0 (W2 box 16 minus standard deduction are negative) but it is still asking me to continue filing the return and pay california state return filing fee instead of telling there is no need to file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What state is in box 15?

Is your daughter a resident of CA? Or is she just there for the *primary* purpose of attending college as an undergraduate? If not a CA resident, then what state is she a resident of?
Typically, an undergraduate college student retains the home state of their parents, assuming they lived with their parents prior to leaving for college.

@Carl box 15 says CA. box 16 has same value as box 1, box 17 is blank.

She is full year resident of CA. 

per the return that I prepared for CA, she is not getting any refund and no taxes are due. so I don't want to 'pay' for filing CA tax return unless it is 'required'.  [and if filing is required I will do it manualy or  FTB calfile website. It's a stratight forward return only W2 and standard deductions]

Carl
Level 15

When dealing with state taxes, either all three boxes (15-17) have something in them, or they're all blank. So just enter a zero for box 17.

@Carl quesstion was not about entering W2 in Turbotax. I am trying to find under these circustance is she "required" to file California state return (situation sumary is: filing federal return to get a refund, no amount withdelf for state, does not owe taxes, earning are less than standard deductions)

Carl
Level 15

While the website at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/do-you-need-to-file.html gives the impression it answers that question, it does not. But perhaps one of the links on that page does.

Thanks @Carl, according to that link she do not need to file.  she is not 'required' to file fedral reutn but only doing it to get a refund, she didn't earn income from other state, her income is below the limit that make it required to file, she is not getting any EIC or any refund for state whatsoever.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies