Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Stawsh
Returning Member

Blank activation screen

Just noticed that you were trying to install a 2020 product.  So what I wrote in the post above probably applies to you.  However, I just now installed  TruboTax 2022, and all went AOK, so it appears that Intuit has fixed the problem.

Blank activation screen

Same here, no issues with 2022 install

kh98771
Returning Member

Blank activation screen

Hello to all. My name is Kendra and I have been helping 100s of customers with a workaround for this issue. When you have this issue with a blank activation screen please try these step

BLANK ACTIVATION SCREEN

This is a resolution and scaling issue.

-copy code (if you have to, type it out on something on your computer: notepad, word, sticky note, ect. Highlight and Copy/Ctrl+C)
-open TurboTax download and continue until you get to the blank screen, leave the software open.
-open computer display (start>setting >system> resolution for Windows or right click on the desktop and chose display setting from the pop-up box
- change the resolution to 800 X 600 ( or something close, remember the original)
-select keep changes (everything is going to be huge)
-go back to TurboTax software.
-(Even though they won't see it happening) click the box where the License Code goes and use the keyboard to Paste (Ctrl+V *you will not be able to right click and select paste) and then hit Enter on the keyboard
-you may not see anything in the box on the screen, don't worry this is normal
-Go back to display setting for the computer and change the resolution back to original resolution
-go back to the TurboTax software -you should now see the license code
-select activate/enter (you may need to close and reopen, but you should be taken to the register screen or the TurboTax home screen

j-finpdx
Returning Member

Blank activation screen

I started this thread and pursued the issue a far as I could in multiple calls with TurboTax help.  I tried every suggested "fix". If you can finally manage to get the software activated, you then have to suffer the fact that all the pop-up windows are scaled such that they don't work.  And because of that I was unable to file state tax returns because that portion of the software process relies on pop-up windows. 

It became quite clear that TurboTax does not have a reliable work-around. One person on the help desk admitted to getting lots of calls, but that the official line is that most users have no issues.  I had this problem the year prior too and only repurchased upon the promise that I'd get a full refund if the issue persisted in last year's release. It did. I got a refund. I now pay an accountant. 

Blank activation screen

*BEST WORKAROUND SO FAR* - For Microsoft Surface users, change your Display Driver from the Intel Iris Xe driver to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. This should resolve both the Activation page and the Checkout page. Since I'm doing several returns this year, which means I'll be going through the checkout process multiple times, I had to find a workaround. This worked flawlessly. When I'm done, I'll simply change the driver back.

Step-by-step: Open Device Manager, click Display Adapters, right-click Intel Iris driver, click Update Driver, click "Browse my computer for drivers," click "Let me pick from a list...," select "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" - Once it's finished, you may need to change settings (it made my scale 300% - I changed it back to 200% Recommended).

HalfDome9

Blank activation screen

In reply to rsaidi0902

By "checkout" I'm assuming you are referring to the different pop-up windows (menus) that prevail in order to pay the fee associated with e-filing the return. I have been experiencing the same issues and I'm hoping that your work around fixes it for me too. I'm not too savvy with changing the drivers but my laptop is using the same as yours, so when I need to transmit the next state return, I am going to do what has worked for you.

Thank-you!

HalfDome9

Blank activation screen

In reply to rsaidi0902

By "checkout" I'm assuming you are referring to the different pop-up windows (menus) that prevail in order to pay the fee associated with e-filing the return. I have been experiencing the same issues and I'm hoping that your work around fixes it for me too. I'm not too savvy with changing the drivers but my laptop is using the same as yours, so when I need to transmit the next state return, I am going to do what has worked for you.

Thank-you!

•  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies