Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

workin

Blank activation screen

I disabled firewall/malware protections on my computer as suggested by community but problem persisted. Intuit agent - with my approval -  accessed my computer and updated my system...still nothing. Then a 2nd call to Intuit agent walked me through changing the display resolution to 800x600 and believe it or not, that worked! Success! Who would have thunk??!!! This problem did not occur with my older desktop; but with my new laptop/Windows 10.  

Blank activation screen

Thanks a lot for this answer. It worked well upon the software activation. However, the same problem showed up when we needed to pay for the state e-filing fee to TurboTax. I could see the window now, but I could not type in anything. I noticed that every time I typed in anything in blind, I will be able to see it upon the next change of the screen resolution. But I could not find a specific screen resolution under which that window can function normally. Therefore I just clicked the fill-in box and typed in blind, and then changed screen resolution to any other one to see it, and then moved to the next box. It was painful as I needed to type in contact information, billing address etc, and I needed to check all information was correctly typed in. I changed screen resolution for >20 times for the entire process. It finally went through. I hope turbotax can fix this bug next year. It is a very very painful experience. Fortunately such problem was not there when I entered the tax information, otherwise I would have switched to another software.

Blank activation screen

God bless you! I have spent so many hours with computer experts and I just tried your solution and it worked! So happy!

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Blank activation screen

Happy to hear that @Niknek -  Can you tell me which solution worked for you?   There are a couple of different possible solutions in this thread and I am trying to determine the solutions that have worked to assist users with the activation screen.  Thanks!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Blank activation screen

The change of resolution from recommended to 800X600 until done with the activation.  After that you can switch the resolution back to the desired one. No one was able to assist me on this. Luckily I saw your response online.

Blank activation screen

Yes, 800x600 resolution can solve the activation window problem. After you finish inputting all information and before you file tax, you may experience similar difficulty if you choose to pay either state tax e-filing fee, or audit assistance fee, etc. Unfortunately 800x600 resolution alone cannot solve problem over there, you may also need to change size of the text to 100% to finish that window. But if you choose to e-file federal tax only and mail-in state tax, you will not experience that difficulty any more.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Blank activation screen

Blank activation screen

Here are some additional steps in case the scaling and resolution does not work:

1. Log into TTA account and go to Downloads
2. Click Copy Code beside the License Code
3. Download/Install TTD
4. When activation box pops up, it may be white or have spinning dots
5. Turn off all virus protection, firewalls, and pop up blockers that may be running
6. Confirm you are running as Administrator
7. Try to “right click” on the “TT Icon” on desktop – Activation screen should pop up
8. Press Ctrl V to paste code into the box (click somewhere inside the activation
screen)
9. “Left Click” on the “TT Icon” on the Taskbar – Activation screen should pop up
10. When box pops up, click Allow this program to make changes (select Yes)
11. These steps may need to be repeated several times, but it should eventually
show the code
12. Click Activate TurboTax (Should take the code and activate the product)

Blank activation screen

So...changing the resolution helped see the box but the area to type in the code would not allow you to see what you typed.  By coincidence, I started typing in  the blank spot...nothing showed`...but when I changed the resolution again...what I had typed appeared. I had made some mistakes so it did not take. But typing the characters again...changing the  resolution they appeared when I had it correct and hit the continue button...would not go...changed the resolution again...the continued button worked....quite the ordeal.  Also when I went to download my state forms...once again blank screen...resolution change the dialog appeared.  State is not ready yet but I hope you can get this worked out.

bcorwin8

Blank activation screen

This truly SUCKS!

Tried all the fixes, every resolution, and still a blank activation screen for my re-install of TT2020 and new install of TT2021.

I sure hope it is not time to try a different software vendor.  Why is this still a problem after a year of folks having issues?

Blank activation screen

turbotax 2021 activation screen is blank on my new pc

Blank activation screen

This does not look like is the answer... I think it was the up date to the graphisc driver that did the trick for me....

I think the screen is still going to a web site..

Ignore this idea....

========================================

I found the solution for Windows 11,  I started the Windows service called WebClient. 

Apperantly the screen is trying to get to a web site. 

It was set to start manually.  so I changed to start automaically for the future. 

j-finpdx
Returning Member

Blank activation screen

@midnight Brewedthis is wonderful news. Please share more detail about what you did. I searched for "webclient" and found WebClient Service Defaults in Windows 10 (revertservice.com). It says webclient is a program inside of svchost.exe. The Task Manager shows many instances of that running and I don't see how to initiate webclient.dll without running svchost which is already running.

Blank activation screen

[deleted]

bcorwin8

Blank activation screen

Called support got it to work by trying every resolution 

I think 1400x ?  Was the magic number 

800x600 was definitely a loser

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies