Re: Being charged for Deluxe when don’t need it

EPond22

Being charged for Deluxe when don’t need it

I’m married filing separately. I thought I needed the Deluxe edition when Turbo Tax recommended it for itemization while in the middle of working through everything, so I upgraded, but closer to finishing my federal return Turbo Tax prompted me with a message explaining that if my spouse had already taken the standard deduction that I had to do that as well, so I then clicked that option. But when trying to finally file, I’m being charged for Deluxe, which I thought I technically no longer needed. Any help or insight would be great, thanks!

adrianenriquez

Hello @EPond22!

Based on what you are saying it sounds like you were prompted to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe when you input that you intended to itemize your deductions. Because you are unable to itemize your deductions you can downgrade your account if TurboTax Deluxe is no longer needed.

To downgrade, you'll need to clear and start over. Keep in mind that you won't be able to do this if you've already submitted payment or deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund.

We have a great resource on this subject: Can I downgrade to a lower price version of TurboTax Online? 

Hope that helps!

Adrian E

EPond22

Darn, I was afraid of that. I have saved my info via the Tax Tools>Tools>Save your 2019 return to your computer. I don’t suppose that would enable me to not have to input everything all over again after I clear and star over?

adrianenriquez

Thanks for your response @EPond22!

Yes, I understand it can take some time but it is the only method to downgrade your TurboTax Online account.

Although you can download the .tax2019 file by clicking Save your 2019 return to your computer, this file cannot be imported into TurboTax Online to continue as a return. In this case you would need to start the return over and re-enter your data.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Adrian E

Technically you can Itemize Deductions.  But then she would have to change hers to itemize to match your return.  Unless she filed as Head of Household. 

What file did you save?  A pdf or the .tax2019 File?  If you saved the pdf after you upgraded to Deluxe you would have had to pay the fees first.  Did you pay any fees yet?

EPond22

Thanks for the thorough and quick responses! Ok, I’ll consider which I want to go with.

Thanks again!