Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bait and Switch Turbo Tax claims to handle different tax situations and to handle you situation you have to upgrade because apparently they don't give you all the forms.

Not A question a statement use another service.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Bait and Switch Turbo Tax claims to handle different tax situations and to handle you situation you have to upgrade because apparently they don't give you all the forms.

If Turbotax did everyone's tax return for free they'd be out of business shortly.

Definitely not truthful in their advertising . They have spent large sums of money on the "Free free free" commercials . I paid $50 for the software then they suggested another 30 for the premier version. No truth in advertising and definitely bait and switch .  I've used Turbo Tax 7yrs problem free but several glitches this year. Even this Q & A asks customers to answer questions instead of having experts answer.
marauderm

I must agree with the Bait and Switch description of Intuit. My favorite is if you want to file your taxes on line (State) there is a $24.99 charge. Ok.....to avoid standing in line, weighing the envelope lower frustration I am in. Then when you choose it, you get caught up in a deceptive shell game. Here is how it goes:

-So you want to pay to have state filed online...no problem only $24.99 due. Click continue.

-Two ways to pay, you can use your federal tax return (mine was $23 to go towards the fee of $25. Total charge is $44.95 to upgrade to allow you to do this. (I CHOSE NOT..... BUT IT WAS NOT CLEAR YOU COULD DO THAT BECAUSE THERE WAS ANOTHER OPTION BELOW....PAY WITH CREDIT CARD).

-To which I got caught in a merry go round of failed log ins and password resets that did not work. I was so frustrated that I was almost willing to do the upgrade just to be done.

-Older people (you know the ones being prayed upon by unscrupulous sales men to swindle their money) would probably just clicked on the upgrade and figured it was the correct price. 

Finally, If you choose not to e-file state returns, there historically was not a button to print the necessary file on that screen. You literally had to leave and reinitiate the filing process to get to the printing option.....again-to me intentionally deceptive.

The net result is I stopped trying to e-file my state return and printed it to mail in a day late as time ran out to file while I was on the phone to customer service trying to reset my account that was going to take one business day effectively making me late anyway.

So I will pay my postage to mail the state docs and use the rest of the money to get an actual accountant that I can trust not to scam me.....This will end my 29 year relationship with Intuit and turbo tax products and I will warn everyone to avoid this criminally manipulative company.

Sadly Intuit which makes wonderful products like Mint has decided to ruin Turbo Tax by resorting to deceptive bait & switch tactics. If you are an investor or use multiple 1099 forms you will be told later in the process only after wasting time filling out the free version that you must upgrade and pay $60.00

1) If you have a 1099 MISC you'll be baited with the free version and then forced to pay $60.00

2) If you have multiple 1099R forms you'll be forced to pay $60.00

3) My income is not high and I will be seeking alternatives to Turbo Tax 

I have experienced this bait and switch tactic first hand.  I won't use this software ever again. 

garbo123

Clearly, bait & switch is the main point of Turbotax Free File.

Example: Forms supported --> ... Form 1099-Misc, Schedule C

BUT:

turbotax_self-employed_1.png

jmthor

Yup Simple K1 I'm off to a professional tax preparer....

very aggravating.

I was going to buy the 30 dollar service.. but now the price has justified paying for the professional preparer.

@jmthor wrote:

Yup Simple K1 I'm off to a professional tax preparer....

very aggravating.

I was going to buy the 30 dollar service.. but now the price has justified paying for the professional preparer.

You would need the Premier online edition which supports a Schedule K-1.  The Premier edition is $89.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies