Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TODAY!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Auto Save - Turn Off

Now that I have submitted my return to the IRS, I would like to experiment with some of my dollar amount inputs. so, I can guesstimate next year's return.  Is there a way to turn off Auto Save so when I'm I can close Turbo Tax without it changing my real return that I already submitted to the IRS ?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Auto Save - Turn Off

Do NOT mess with the return that you prepared using online software. 

If you want to play around with various scenarios, start a "dummy" account to do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Auto Save - Turn Off

Do NOT mess with the return that you prepared using online software. 

If you want to play around with various scenarios, start a "dummy" account to do that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Auto Save - Turn Off

Thank you very much, was hoping for an easier way then recreating my entire tax return to tweak a few changes I know will change for next year's deductions and credits.

Thanks ... 

Auto Save - Turn Off

Make a copy of the return and use that copy to play around! I do that all the time.

Auto Save - Turn Off

Auto-Save? Is there such a thing? Not in the Mac version. For such a great and sophisticated piece of software, there's no excuse for not having it available. (I screwed up once and didn't save; my sister just called me having screwed up on her windows machine; given that, I question whether there is an auto-save.)

Auto Save - Turn Off

@AZStarman If you use ONLINE TurboTax it is autosaved.   When you use desktop software (CD/download)  you have to save it yourself when you close out of the program.   Desktop does not autosave.   And since you can prepare multiple returns using desktop software you need to make sure you name the file so you can find it again when you want to open it and work on it again or use it.

Auto Save - Turn Off

I can confirm it auto-saves without asking in Mac desktop for both 2021 and 2022. Just burned myself doing scenarios prior to making my estimated payment next week. There is no option to turn it on and off, as a matter of fact the only setting in TT Preferences is report size. I then tested in 2021 and it does the same thing. Cannot test 2019/2020 as they are on another drive but 2018 worked as I expected (prompted me before exiting)

So Intuit, how about putting the prompt back like it used to be? "Would you like to save your changes?" Yes/No

I have no problem with auto-save being available but at least give us the option. I seem to remember the program would prompt you along the way to save in the past.

Auto Save - Turn Off

You CANNOT massage the .tax file in any way when using the TTax On-Line version. ANY changes (what-ifs) that you make will PERMANENTLY change your .tax file. 

You have 3 options: 

Create a new On-Line account for each 'what-if' that you want to try. In TurboTax Online, you'll have to create a test account separate from your regular TurboTax account and create a test return there. We recommend adding "test" or similar to your User ID so you can easily distinguish it from your actual account.  

OR

Use the estimated payment section in either program just do not change the filed return info ...

To access your current year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and Click on Add a state

This will take you back to the 2022 online tax return.  If you have filed the 2022 tax return do Not make any changes to the return that was filed.  Only access the estimated tax section and then print the estimated tax forms if needed.

1. With your tax return open, enter 1040-es in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to 1040-es
  2. Answer No to the question,  Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2023?
  3. On the next screen, Review Your Estimates, select Review Now.
  4. Proceed through the interview, answering questions about your 2023 filing status, income, deductions, etc.
  5. Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers screen; answer Yes and we'll include your 2023 1040-ES payment vouchers in the Print Center. 

OR

Buy the Desktop version and install it on your computer --you can download the .tax2022 file from your On-Line return and use it to open your Desktop version.  The Desktop version CAN do 'What-If' & test return scenarios. 

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

>>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy

1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

>>  use the WHAT IF tool: 

- Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 

- Click on the Open Form Icon 

- In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 

- You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 

- To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Auto Save - Turn Off

The mac version does auto save. I don't know why TurboTax engineers have this on by default, and there's no way that I know of to turn it off. The PC version doesn't have auto save.  I also like to experiment and delete stuff and do what if scenarios and then exit without saving the changes. I'm forced to by the PC version every year and use it on an old laptop. I'm a Mac person and discovered this five years ago.  TurboTax why is auto save feature even on for the mac version and not the PC version? Please fix this and allow us to  turn off auto save. This will likely fall on deaf ears.

Auto Save - Turn Off

Sorry but the auto save is a MAC thing and cannot be turned off  however you can be smarter than the program ... you can save at will so save a .taxfile  with a unique file name so you can "what if" to your heart's delight and delete all the "test" returns you play with. 

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Once you have filed successfully … you can shut off the auto updater function and then save the return &  .taxfile.

For Windows, up in the top menu, you  can set the  "Updater Preferences" to "Always Ask" or more commonly set to "I don't have an internet connection"  (even if you do), and then you are not forced to update....and can manually force an update when you choose to do so.   And then you can open the file(s) at any time with no forced upgrade.

But that's the Windows software.....not a MAC. For a MAC you cannot turn off the auto updater  HOWEVER  you can simply disconnect from the internet before opening the tax return.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

*** Other clues to the downloaded program ***

In the forms mode ... double click  or right click on a box on a form to data source it ... sadly it doesn't work on all boxes. 

What's the meaning of all the different colors in Forms Mode?

When you look at an onscreen tax form using Forms Mode, you might wonder why one figure is blue and the one next to it is red or black.

These colors indicate the source of that data.

Color

Meaning

Blue

You entered this data, either in the interview or Forms Mode.

Black

The program entered this data or calculated this amount.

Red

This data has either been overridden or is invalid (for example, a ZIP code that doesn't exist).

Red italics

You marked this amount as estimated.

Black italics

The program calculated this amount from an amount you marked as estimated.

Purple

This information has supporting details.

Aquamarine

This data was transferred over from last year.

Green

This data was imported from Quicken or QuickBooks.

Yellow fields (Windows)

Yellow fields allow user input. Anything you enter here shows up in blue.

PRIOR YEAR USE OF A SUPPORTING DETAILS WORKSHEET :

If you find you have a  $0  in an entry field that cannot be changed … this issue is almost always one in which you used a "Supporting Details"  (SD) sheet in that field in the prior year.   What happens is that when you transfer in the prior year's data, the SD sheet is transferred too, but empty...and that causes the $0 to show up in many areas of the Step-by-Step mode interview....wherever the SD sheet was used before.

But when switching to Forms Mode, when you try to enter a $$ amount in a field where the SD sheet is attached, the SD sheet will pop up immediately, and you can either enter the $$ amount on that sheet, or delete the SD sheet entirely and avoid future issues (unless you really want the SD sheet)

Sometimes, when you see the $0 in Step-by-Step, you can just

1. a)  double-click on the field and the SD sheet will pop up.  But I've seen that doesn't work in all cases.

1. b)  Another way is to click on the field, then go up to the menu..."<<Edit<<<Add Supporting Details"....then the SD sheet pops up and you can use it, or delete the SD sheet entirely and then the regular field will work properly.

1. c)  OR  click on the problem field, then switch to Forms Mode to make that entry

Auto Save - Turn Off

I appreciate the response. I want to update this. Initially I thought I had found a solution and did some more research .  It was posted in the community that if on a mac you go to system preference>General> check the box that says ask to keep changes when closing document, that the auto save feature would go away. I tried it and it seemed to be working temporarily. When yo u closed your TurboTax file an option would come if you want to save, cancel or revert changes. If you selected revert changes it would not save the new stuff you did. I learned if you walked away for a min or two, then it would auto save. Almost thought for a second that I had found a solution.  It's a bummer. The thread I'm reading is saying it's Mac's auto save feature messing this up. Unfortunately, I will be stuck doing TurboTax on a PC.

Auto Save - Turn Off

It looks like you changed your reply from last night but I had enough to go on! Thanks so much. I have older versions on a Sierra machine and that works as I expect - it asks me to save before exiting.

Sierra does have that setting in System Preferences, but despite being a Mac user since 1987, I have no recollection of having to turn it on! But mine *is* on in the Sierra machine. Could have been a change in the OS over the years I guess.

I checked my Big Sur machine, where I run the more recent versions and it is turned off. I turned it on, went into TT 2022 and it's working the way I want it to - at least for now.

I do agree that for doing projections it's safer to work on a copy of your data, but there are many reasons someone would want to "Revert Changes.

Thanks for your post!

Auto Save - Turn Off

Yes, I did change my response. I ammended what I said because initially I thought I found a resolution and I was able to play with numbers and they were not being auto saved.  So I deleted something, like a bank statement, and walked away and when I came back I exited without saving it. When I went to check if it reverted back to the original, it did not. It showed the deleted bank statement. So I don't want to risk it. Try experimenting, walk away, close it out without saving, and see if it still auto saves or not.   I saw that microsoft has a toggle switch built into word which allows you to auto save or not on the front page of word. I wonder if TurboTax could implement something like that.  I guess I will continue using the PC version.

Auto Save - Turn Off

Hi - I checked the box in System Preferences to ask to Save, and that's what it did when I exited. I got a box that said Save, Revert Changes or Cancel.

While Autosave is useful, I have a pretty good habit of hitting Command-S every few minutes. I also remember a time when TT would suggest saving as you moved through the program and it didn't do that for me this year. I'm sure MS Office still does this, where you can setup autosave every few minutes? When I was typing a lot I'd do 5 minute autosaves and then manually as I was going along.

I'll continue to try TT to see if it's working as I like it to.

Auto Save - Turn Off

Once you file the return you really need to save the PDF & .taxfile  to a removable storage medium or 2 for safety reasons in case your computer crashes or the files get corrupted.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies