I know the IRS phone number is 800-829-1040, but how to do you get someone to actually answer the line?

Corrected access,  Call [phone number removed], Select Language - Press # Question on Personal Income, Press #1 Forms you have filed, Press #3 Tax History, press, #3 Tax History again, enter your Social Security # and wait until all 9 options are finished listing and then you will sit on hold.  And hopefully get a human that is helpful. 

When I call the IRS number it goes to automatic voice and only gives me two options set up a payment plan or check my status and it isn't what people post it don't give me those options can you help me???
The steps are way different then what everyone is posting i can't get through to anyone

it don't give me the options it tells me to type my social in then tells me it's processing and hangs up it don't go to anything else

Currently the IRS is not answering the phone.  If you cannot find the information you need from them online at www.irs.gov, there is not a way to talk to someone for the time being.

@Kenzieardrey

I have called the IRS twice, both time recording says there office is closed, only automated can help.  I am going on 60+ days and it still tells me that it's still being processed.  Have no local office close by.   

@cwtx72

Even if you had a local office nearby, it probably wouldn't help.  And telephone services will be limited for the near future, as well.

According to the IRS's IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue page,

"The IRS has temporarily suspended almost all face-to-face contacts with taxpayers. All Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) are closed and face-to-face service discontinued throughout the country until further notice.

As the IRS continues to work through office closures and safety issues for IRS employees and taxpayers regarding COVID-19, the agency is taking steps to temporarily reduce live telephone assistance."

Government work at its finest! How the hell they plan on handling stimulus when they can’t even handle normal refunds? Been waiting 3 months for my refund- filed Jan. and accepted. 

I am attaching an IRS link for some alternatives.  Click here:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

@asavage71

Good info, but what does one do, when for 70 days it has told me "return still being processed".  Up setting when people had filed after me have received there return.  My return is just a standard 1040.  So how does this problem be solved.  I do know this the people you trust to do  your taxes like Turbo will not lift a finger to investigate for there clients to give them answers is so sad.  To me not very professional.   I'll pay a few extra bucks and go back to H&R Block next year. 

I try to call so many time Don’t someone answer the phone ?

I want to know 

There is no live assistance at this time...  4/13/20

When they are coming back 

Need talk to someone about my taxes 

When will i get the money

I was Filing my taxes yesterday and I accidentally submitted and non-E file I Thought it had to do with my taxes For my account information not Realizing that by doing that it’s not let me file my taxes now because I submitted the non-E file is there anything I can do to still be able to send my taxes.