Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax_user

After each update Tubotax Application keeps asking for License code to be activated

Hello,

I like to use the TurboTax2020 to amend my 2020tax. But when I opened it, the mesage to updated pop up, I followed that and I have problem with license code that was used up. 
Could you please help me to solve this problem. 

Thank you very much.

my email:

[email address removed]

After each update Tubotax Application keeps asking for License code to be activated

You will likely have to call customer support and get a new license code. TT this year seems to be especially buggy, using a device authentication scheme that seems to date from the era of floppy disks.  

My solution is to leave TT open at all times (from a late January version) and NEVER shut the computer down or ask for updates until actually ready to file. When I will undoubtedly need to use my license code again. 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

For assistance with your license code, please see this TurboTax help article:  My code doesn't work

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Tax_user

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JOQ
Level 1

I always forget about the post (don't remember where it was) that says it may have to do with what is plugged into your USB ports.  I find that if I go back to the ports with as little plugged in as possible, it works for me.  I only have my dockstation plugged in if I need to reenter the code.

Yes, that's my backup solution also - unplug everything and cross my fingers. I am reluctant to rely on it as a solution, however, as TT think it entirely to do with routers, switches, video cards, OS upgrades and probably the color of your wallpaper. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is occurring with 2021 Home & Business. None of the suggestions work, including opening the file directly. While not the end of the world by any means, it is annoying and certainly seems as if there should be a simple solution.

My guess is that there is a file acknowledging the license code has been activated that is being overwritten each time there is an update. 

Come on Intuit. How much trouble can it be to fix it?

I also have this problem with Turbo Tax Premier 2021 DVD version. It is a pain, and it should be a simple fix.

Updated this weekend. The "everything unplugged before updating or opening TT" approach seemed to work as I wasn't asked to activate again. So a bit of self-discipline (which really should be unnecessary).  Or, TT  inserted a fix - but that seems  improbable! 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@gbishop-593

For assistance with your license code, please see this TurboTax help article:  My code doesn't work

If you continue to have issues please reach out to a TurboTax representative for assistance. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this one of those robot automated responses?

If not, please actually read the question and problem as opposed to delivering a canned answer that doesn't solve the problem. If you don't have an answer, don't respond.

This is a programming issue, plain and simple. The authentication of the license is being overwritten each time there is an update to the program. The only SOLUTION is for Intuit to modify the program, through an update, to avoid overwriting the authentication.

We are not so patiently waiting.

I am having the same issue on my Mac with Home and Biz. Now I have the license code copied to Notes (which I keep open) and copy and paste it every time I open TT.

Ridiculous. I've been using TT for umpteen years and never had this happen before.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please click here for assistance with your license code as well as TurboTax contact information if it still not working for you. 

Sdog1

DM2 

could you send me the answer to this? 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Sdog1 How can we assist you?

I need to file an amended return for 2020 and am having the same problem as everyone else. I purchased TT at Costco and lost the box with the activation code.  I spent an hour talking to 2 different TT customer support people who basically just read off the website and told me I should have saved the box in a safe place....thanks for the tip buddy!  I clearly purchased the software and had e-filed my returns with it. Why can't they just provide me with an activation code?  I've been using TT for 15 years and this is really unacceptable customer service. I've also never dealt with any software that requires an activation code at each use.

One solution I may have is to purchase TT again and then return it within 60 days.

Has anyone been able to get an activation code from Intuit if TT was purchased from a 3rd party?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies