Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Activation Screen Hangs on Load

Setting screen resolution to 800x600 resolved the white activation screen.  Then when I got past it I put it back. Disappointing though... hopefully, I don't have to use any more Nintendo tricks to keep it working.

Rhidium
Returning Member

Okay so I had this issue.. TurboTax Deluxe 2020 Activation Screen hangs up/freezes. 

I FIXED IT..  Can't believe it is such a stupid fix.

First I thought it was my Windows Defender Firewall.. so I disable everything.. Public, Private, etc.  Then I disabled Avast AV.  Then reading around I read something about screen resolution...  I thought NO it couldn't be that.  Guess what. it was the final thing.  I changed the resolution to 1280x800 (other resolutions might work) and it showed me the screen I needed. 

Hope that helps someone!

Awesome  -- changing screen resolution worked for me.  It's disappointing TT couldn't take care of such a trivial issue!

This worked -- thanks for the suggestion. I had a new laptop and turned off all firewalls and couldn't get it to work.  In the world of exotic 4K displays, this seems like a trivial piece of legacy code hanging around. What a pity TT hasn't handled this yet.

Bfl3

Changing the screen resolution to 800x600 worked for me. No idea why that would fix the activation screen freeze but it did.

so dumb and a waste of time trying to figure this out

jerryfontaine
Returning Member

That did not work. Help

mckaywm
Returning Member

This hang just started today 5/9/2020 after the usual update check.  I've had TT 2020 open numerous times in the last few months with no problems. Just started today :(  Disappointing... Set today aside so I could finally get my taxes done.

jerryfontaine
Returning Member

I lowered my screen resolution, and that worked for the Activation Screen load.

kbbutscher
Returning Member

THERE IS NO RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR OPTION

jerryfontaine
Returning Member

lower your screen resolution setting. that worked for me.

Rhidium
Returning Member

@kbbutscher 

You don't need to run as administrator.  Just lower your resolution of your computer screen.

Basically right click anywhere on your Desktop. Click "Display  Settings". The Setting window will pop up and look for "Display resolution". Change the value to a lower value and try activating your TurboTax.

After you get past that screen, you can change your Display resolution back to normal.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

For more troubleshooting support, see:

Troubleshoot blank screens, missing buttons, or missing images.

Also, it is important that your browser is up to date and your device meets minimum system requirements.

For other troubleshooting resources, see:

How do I delete cookies?

How to clear your cache.

Allow cookies and pop-ups.

fmottahe
Returning Member

This did not help. I NEED A LIVE TECH SUPPORT PERSON to help me with this problem.

@fmottahe wrote:

This did not help. I NEED A LIVE TECH SUPPORT PERSON to help me with this problem.

Another user posted this fix.  See if it works for you -

• change your resolution to 800 x 600 (start>setting >system resolution. once it's been changed, your screen size will look very big. REMEMBER your initial resolution setting!
  • launch TT and the activation screen should launch.  copy / paste in your activation code. you should get the 'all set' green check mark
  • change your resolution back to what is was originally.
nick7zoa

I tried all the suggestions made in the forum.  Although none of them worked,. I found a new solution.  I installed (successfully) TurboTax 2000 on an older Windows 10 laptop.  Then I copied the entire contents of the installed Deluxe 2020 folder onto the new laptop.  I double-clicked TurboTax.exe. was prompted for the registration code and got into the program.  Problem solved.  I have no idea why this worked, but it worked.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies