turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jem1025

Activation Screen Hangs on Load

I changed my screen resolution to 800 x 600 and the screen opened right up to put in the activation code.

j4ms

I can't believe that this worked.  But it did.   smh.

You are absolutely right! I have a brand new laptop with an 11th generation Intel chip. When I couldn't get my purchased CD code to work on this new machine, turboTax sent me a download with a new code, and when they had me install it, they told me to reduce screen resolution to 800x600. I put the code in, and after the program started they had me switch back to normal resolution. However, it seems I may have to do this every time the windows software gets a new update.

Closing app, changing screen resolution to 1366 x 768 worked for me.  I had also change profile on app to be administrator.

Spent 2 hours with two different Intuit experts -- they were unable to get it to work.   Brand new laptop.   Always worked on my old desktop.  Disappointed.   Customer for 10 years.

UPDATE:  As others have noted the problem is the screen resolution on newer computers like 1920 x 1080.   I dropped it to 1366 x 768 and activation screen then opened just fine to accept product code.   I changed resolution back the next time I launched and other screens seem to work ok with higher res.    Hopefully Intuit will fix their install software to accommodate 1920 x 1080 for all windows / screens. 

Josh52

So I have a brand new HP laptop and was experiencing the same activation error as others.  I reset the video resolution to a lower setting (1024x768) and it worked right away.  After activation, I reset the video resolution to the previous setting and all are working fine now!  Wish Inuit would recognize that there are computers with native screen resolutions like 1920x1080!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@mgkruk 

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scottercanbrack
Returning Member

Changing the resolution solved my activation screen hang problem.

Thanks

rVr8aAsA
Returning Member

Had been patient (since early November download with weekly program updates coming in just fine) trying repeatedly the various suggestions (turn-off anti-virus, disable firewalls, reset router, re-do screen resolution and/or scaling, flushdns etc command prompts). I have up-to-date Windows 10 Pro 1909 build. Also tried Copy/Paste on the quickly appearing then disappearing blank activation dialogue; no luck. Fiddled with various browser privacy and security settings just in case; no luck. Was almost ready to either call TT (I did not want that much pain though) or go to manual preparation (I've used TT Deluxe for years).

Setting up TT Deluxe 2020 compatibility (to Windows 8 ) then running as adminstrator did the trick - the activation dialogue initialized, offered the activation code slots, and then accepted the code, started TT. Huzzah!

But why, oh why do ordinary users have to jigger this warped system?

dmchook
Returning Member

Did this and fixed the problem instantly!

I spent 2 hours with two different agents with no success.  I found the answer here.  

eph2001

This Also worked for me. Setting display for 1366 x 768

I had the same problem. TurboTax experts did not have an answer. I have an HP Laptop running WIndows 10 and I reduced my display setting to 800x600 and the activation screen was unlocked. Beware of this scam by TurboTax. Their experts should have known this solution. They referred me to Just Answer for a $1 charge to my credit card. The expert at Just Answer did not have an answer and told me to contact TurboTax, the same phone that referred me to Just Answer. Now I get an email from Just Answer that my next Membership payment of $46 is due this week. 

I had that problem with activation as well.  Also when i got it activated, i tried to upgrade from deluxe to premier and got the same result.  

Someone in the community suggested changing the display resolution to 800 x 600.  I tried this and was able to enter the activation code.  Then when i upgraded, same solution but tricky as some of the info was offscreen to the left. (i had to wing the expiration month of my credit card.  Anyways, I finally got there.  (After i got to the upgrade window I changed the resolution back to normal but the left side of the window was still off-screen - which is where the exp month of the CC was to be chosen)  Hope this helps.

Hi,

I am having the same problem.  Worked with TT this am for 3 hours and problem was not resolved.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies