Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

5 Free Counseling Sessions Received. Afterwards they were approx. $40 a session. Taxable?

US Expat in Korea. There was some offer from a "Foreign Resident Center" for a lot of free things (they offer classes, counseling, legal aid, etc.). I took their offer of 5 free counseling sessions which I guess they pay directly to the counseling center (for the first 5 times) and then if you want to continue, each session was 50,000 KRW. 

Do I need to report these "free counseling sessions" (like the fair market value of 250,000 KRW which I'd have to figure out each date I went, convert to USD, and add it up) or am I being too obsessive with my taxes? TIA.

More info:

It's just a welfare(?)-type thing offered to foreign residents in Seoul. The Seoul Foreign Resident Center offers a lot of free services (legal services, counseling, education, etc.) to foreign residents here and for this case, they have a counseling service (separate from them) that they offer these free 5 sessions for. They also have free lawyers and stuff where I guess they take care of initial costs or the costs are waived for example. I don't know if it's welfare but it's like that or charity. Offered to help out the residents that are eligible for it.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

5 Free Counseling Sessions Received. Afterwards they were approx. $40 a session. Taxable?

@pk ??

Asked and answered before.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-5-free-counseling-sessions-received-afterwards...

You described this as a government benefit.  That would not be taxable income under US law.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@shanesnh , generally agreeing with my colleague @Opus 17  about recognition of  such benefits for US tax purposes.  The very general rule is  benefits that are offered by   govt. or an agency  that does not have any conditions  and/or requirements   ( e.g. UK offering child support payments if you have children under certain age  for all residents ). would not count as income.  Thus I would opine that your benefit (of free lessons) would fall into this category of non-recognizable benefit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies