turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2022 I am a resident alien(H1B) and my wife is on H4. She will be on F1 later at end of next year which is around November 2023

2022 I am a resident alien(H1B) and my wife is on H4. She will be on F1 later at end of next year which is around November 2023. I am paying for her tuition fee and I have the following question.

• For the upcoming tax return year can I raise as jointly and do I need an ITIN number for my wife
  • In my W4 form I have chosen single, shall I leave it as it is or choose as the head of household as I am the only person earning right now(no children) or choose as "married filing jointly" though my wife is not earing right now.
  • When my wife changes the status to F1 and gets a job that will lead her to SSN do I have to cancel the ITIN number if she acquires one?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

2022 I am a resident alien(H1B) and my wife is on H4. She will be on F1 later at end of next year which is around November 2023

@nikeshv ,  As  I understand the situation here :

(a) you are H1-B and having met the Substantial Presence Test are considered  Resident  for Tax Purposes.  Taxed by the US on your world income.

(b) your wife is on dependent visa H-4 and thus also considered  a Resident for Tax purposes.

At this stage , you have only two valid  filing status --- 1.  Married Filing Joint ( MFJ)  or  2. Married Filing Separate ( MFS).  Head of Household  status (HoH) requires  the presence and support of a qualified child / person AND unmarried or considered unmarried          ( living away from spouse for at least the second of half of a tax year ).  MFJ is generally the most tax benign fling status for most filers.

If your spouse goes to school, and she changes to F-1  ( independent & student visa ), depending on facts and circumstances at the time she may or may not get exemption from counting  presence because she has already been a resident for tax purposes.  Her ITIN may be replaced by SSN but F-1 status  is not a work visa  ( although  one does get special permission to work on campus or during OPT/CPT but still must be "full time student" ).  Thus I don't see any changes to your filing status.  Don't know if I understand what you are trying to achieve.   Can you please tell more 

Namaste ji

pk

@tagteam 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

@pk?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@nikeshv ,  As  I understand the situation here :

(a) you are H1-B and having met the Substantial Presence Test are considered  Resident  for Tax Purposes.  Taxed by the US on your world income.

(b) your wife is on dependent visa H-4 and thus also considered  a Resident for Tax purposes.

At this stage , you have only two valid  filing status --- 1.  Married Filing Joint ( MFJ)  or  2. Married Filing Separate ( MFS).  Head of Household  status (HoH) requires  the presence and support of a qualified child / person AND unmarried or considered unmarried          ( living away from spouse for at least the second of half of a tax year ).  MFJ is generally the most tax benign fling status for most filers.

If your spouse goes to school, and she changes to F-1  ( independent & student visa ), depending on facts and circumstances at the time she may or may not get exemption from counting  presence because she has already been a resident for tax purposes.  Her ITIN may be replaced by SSN but F-1 status  is not a work visa  ( although  one does get special permission to work on campus or during OPT/CPT but still must be "full time student" ).  Thus I don't see any changes to your filing status.  Don't know if I understand what you are trying to achieve.   Can you please tell more 

Namaste ji

pk

@tagteam 

Hi @pk 

Bang on!! you did get most of it right. I understood that I should be going with MFJ for the next year tax filling. Currently my wife is enrolled to a college and her visa status is H4 because of COVID and for other reasons the processing time to change from H4 to F1 is around 9 months so by that time we would be in next year applying for returns. When I apply for returns next year do I need get an ITIN number for my wife 

2) After the status changes if my lands a job on campus or through OPT/CPT then do I have to can the ITIN and request a SSN? 

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@nikeshv , even if your wife is on H-4 ( a non-work visa) she is still eligible for ITIN ( from the IRS) -- this will allow you to file as  MFJ.

Once she is in school , she may be eligible for SSN and in which case here ITIN will die  and you use that to file MFJ.

Note that even during the first year ( say you pass the  Substantial Presence Test in beg of 2022 ) if your wife is present in the USA ( even with H-4), you can file your return  along with her as MFJ, fill out and attach the request for ITIN ( W-7 ) and all the relevant  docs, and file by mail, IRS will indeed grant her an ITIN retrospectively for the year 2022.  The IRS being somewhat understaffed, will take a while to process the paper-return  and the W-7 but you will get the number ( which is good only for return filing).

Does that answer your query ?

Namaste ji

pk

@pk  Thanks for explaining it in detail, yes it does answer my query.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies