Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

runaway

2021 TurboTax program updates

TurboTax refused to send in my return because of the lack of an updated version. It tells me to go to the Online menu and click on Check for Updates. Where do I find the Online menu to click on it? I can't find it anywhere in the TurboTax return I have been working on. In times past one of the things TurboTax did right at the end was to check for updates for me but my TurboTax Premier doesn't have that. I am extremely frustrated!

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

Sorry for the frustration; the online menu should be displayed near the top of the page and should give you an option to check for updates. If you are not seeing this for whatever reason, you may try the manual update @runaway.

Program Update:  Failed to install update.  Microsoft Installer error:  1603, Fatal error during installation

1st call:  Woman asked my email three times.   Then said "Is there something else I can help you with before forwarding?"   

Forwarded to a guy who tried to install "Glance" to help.   Hung up on me.

Back to square one.

This used to be a good program and one that I have used for years.  Unfortunately the program and customer service is terrible now.  

Last year for me.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here if you are encountering error 1603. 

Please let us know if we can assist you further. @DevelFyst

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do you get a list of TurboTax 2022 (2021 Tax year) updates if you are using downloadable software?

There was and update this morning I and I am trying to determine if I need to redo my tax return which I was about to eFile.

How do you get a list of TurboTax 2022 (2021 Tax year) updates if you are using downloadable software?

There was and update this morning I and I am trying to determine if I need to redo my tax return which I was about to eFile.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax no longer publishes the Update Release notes. Is there a specific issue that happened we can assist with @RobE_23?

Yes. I completed my return yesterday but had not yet submitted. This morning TurboTax had an update for the download version. There was no details as to what the update entailed and whether or not it impacted any of the forms and schedules I completed.

I am concerned whether or not I need to go through all sections of the prompts for my return or if the update today (Apr. 7, 2022) was merely a technical software improvement/correction.

rob

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We are unable to answer that question specifically in this public forum without viewing your specific details.  

Updates are common, and unless you run into a filing reject or an error, it is safe to assume that if your return is accepted, you should have no reason for concerns over the update.

@RobE_23

That's too bad. Simple explanation would be helpful.

For example, "update on 04/06/2022 was a technical software update;"update on 04/03/2022 provided a correction for Federal Form XYZ or added form XYZ."

Something to consider next tax year. I think most filers would find it helpful.

thank you for replying.

JRBAY42

I LOST MY CD , DONT HAVE A COPY OF INCOME TAX FOR 2021. I THOUGHT YOU KEPT A  RECORD  AND FOUND OUT , ONLY IF YOU DOWNLOAD SOFTWARE AND FILE THAT WAY. I ORDER A COPY FROM IRS. THEY WANT ME TO REFILE SCHEDULE E. I THOUGHT WHEN I DID THE TURBOTAX, CHECK IT WOULD HAVE CAUGHT THE ERROR!!

If you use the downloaded/CD version of the program ONLY YOU have a copy of the return even if you efiled it ... TT doesn't keep a copy of the return.   It is your responsibility to save the .tax file and PDF of the return.

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

Once you have filed successfully … you can shut off the auto updater function and then save the return &  .taxfile.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

*** Other clues to the downloaded program ***

In the forms mode ... double click  or right click on a box on a form to data source it ... sadly it doesn't work on all boxes. 

What's the meaning of all the different colors in Forms Mode?

When you look at an onscreen tax form using Forms Mode, you might wonder why one figure is blue and the one next to it is red or black.

These colors indicate the source of that data.

Color

Meaning

Blue

You entered this data, either in the interview or Forms Mode.

Black

The program entered this data or calculated this amount.

Red

This data has either been overridden or is invalid (for example, a ZIP code that doesn't exist).

Red italics

You marked this amount as estimated.

Black italics

The program calculated this amount from an amount you marked as estimated.

Purple

This information has supporting details.

Aquamarine

This data was transferred over from last year.

Green

This data was imported from Quicken or QuickBooks.

Yellow fields (Windows)

Yellow fields allow user input. Anything you enter here shows up in blue.

@JRBAY42 - did you save a copy of the tax return on your hard drive?  the final tax return is a *.pdf file.

The tax data file itself (which can only be opened with the 2021 version of TT) is *.tax2021

can you scan your hard drive for these files? all may not be lost. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies