Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution

I took a 2020 Covid distribution which I chose to spread over three years. I answered all the related questions in TurboTax including checking the Coronavirus box and completing the information from form 8915 F (which pulled in automatically) but I keep being instructed to "Visit the form 1099-R retirement topic. "   I do not have a 1099-R for 2022 but do not want to ignore this message if something is not correct. I thought TurboTax has this fixed as of 3/09/23. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will answer "No" to the "Did you take distribution in 2021?" question if the only disaster distribution you receieved was the 2020 Covid distribution.

Please review these steps:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen select the blank entry (click on it) and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here", enter your information from your 2021 Form 9815-F, and then continue.

@SandyOH 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I don't recall getting that message but there would be no 1099-R for 2022.  My 8915-F self-populated too and I filed with no issues other than being annoyed that the form was delayed for so long! 

Did you answer "No" for the question "Did you take  distribution in 2021?"  I am not sure if since the distribution is being spread out I need to answer "Yes" even though I took the money on 2020. I Only answered "Yes" for 2020. 

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will answer "No" to the "Did you take distribution in 2021?" question if the only disaster distribution you receieved was the 2020 Covid distribution.

Please review these steps:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen select the blank entry (click on it) and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here", enter your information from your 2021 Form 9815-F, and then continue.

@SandyOH 

Once I complete these steps the next screen asks me "Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020. I entered "Yes" and when I hit continue the next screen is "You'll need to visit the form 1099-R retirement topic" so it feels like I am in a loop?? Can I ignore this?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you have verified that you have the 3rd portion of the Covid Distribution listed on From 1040 line 4b (for IRA) or line 5b (non-IRA) then you can ignore the message.

Please check Form 8915-F to make sure there isn't an entry on line C since that can cause rejection issues.

1. Select Tax Tools on the left and then Print Center 
  2. Select Print, save or preview this year's return (might be asked to pay first)
  3. Review Form 1040 and Form 8915-F

If you have an entry on line C then please try to delete both "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

@SandyOH 

Thank you! I checked and line C is blank so I should be good. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies