turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgruber1963
Returning Member

2020 already file paid back part of my healthcare subsidy.I hear that the requirement to pay back subsidy for wrong income estimate is waived for 2020.Am I due a refund?

I already filed 2020 tax return and had to payback part of healthcare subsidy due to income estimate being incorrect. Newest stimulus plan states don't have to pay back for incorrect estimate in 2020. Should I get a refund for the amount I paid back, if so how?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

2020 already file paid back part of my healthcare subsidy.I hear that the requirement to pay back subsidy for wrong income estimate is waived for 2020.Am I due a refund?

Here is information from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services about the changes in the ACA from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. 

This applies to 2021 and 2022, and did not mention any retroactive changes to the ACA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dgruber1963
Returning Member

What you're referencing is new rules regarding eligibility for ACA subsidies for this year and next. What I was referencing specifically pertains to guidance regarding waiving subsidy payback for 2020 subsidies when income for 2020 is higher than estimated during ACA enrollment for 2020. This waiver has been highlighted in multiple sources, so I'm pretty sure this is part of the Stimulus package. I was told earlier today by one of your phone reps that I'll need to amend my return in order to get a refund from the IRS and should try this after 3/26/21.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies