turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 TT taxes using last year's .iCloud file

I cannot open my 2018 TurboTax file saved on my iMac apparently because of changes Apple has recently made; they have added a ".iCloud" to the end of the file name and the 2019 software I just got cannot find it and I cannot open it. I also have a copy saved to my DropBox folder but that cannot open, either, because it, too, has the .iCloud file name.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Who added the iCloud name?  You need the file ending in .tax2018 to open in the program and to transfer to 2019.    And don't try to access it from Drop box or the cloud.  First copy the file to your computer hard drive.  Can you delete the iCloud at the end?  Is it after the .tax2018?  @macuser_22 

Glory1385

How I can apply for a advice for my taxes refund 

I do not know how it was added. According to Dropbox Help, Apple made a system change to my current macOS. I had it saved in two places, one on my computer and one in the cloud, but now I cannot change the file name or open it or copy it or move it in any way to or from anywhere.

@Glory1385  Your question is compeletly different that the original poster's question about iCloud on Mac.

Last year for 2018 returns the Refund Advance was only offered to select customers.  It was a prepaid Visa on which some qualified users could get a refund loan--but only after their tax returns have been filed and accepted by the IRS.  The IRS won't start taking 2019 tax returns until late January.

@VolvoGirl - I have never heard of any such thing.    The  xxx.tax2018 data file should be in the default Documents Folder unless it was saved elsewhere.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for finding the .tax data file.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/01/26206

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@VolvoGirl @macuser_22 Thank you both for your help. I believe the changes Apple made in macOS Catalina somehow added the .iCloud domain. I will just have to enter all the information manually.

I personally do not use iCloud and is is strongly suggested that tax files should not be so stored, but I believe that the ".iCloud" suffix on a file name is a temporary place holder while files are being synced with the iCloud.  It would appear that something went wrong with the sync and the fie was never saved to the Cloud or restored.

I suggest that you refer to the Mac help for information on the iCloud.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies