turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 tax return rejected - 8801 form update

E-filed the federal tax return yesterday and today it was rejected. TT is saying that 8801 is being reviewed for updates and I need to wait for one week. If 8801 was pending updates, why did TT let me e-file? IRS doesn’t mention any recent updates to this form. So something doesn’t look right in TT’s explanation. Has anyone else experienced the same and do you have any more information on this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

The corrected Form 8801 is expected to be release later today (Release 20). You need to check on it this weekend.

You should delete the form in your return. When a corrected form is updated it is possible for some old calculations is still in the form. Deleting the form will allow only the corrected form to be loaded.

To delete a form off of your return you need to:

1. Select Tax Forms in the Black bar on the left side of the screen.
  2. Select Tools from the drop down menu.
  3. On the Tools Center Select Delete a form.
  4. Locate the form on the list and select Delete.
  5. You will be asked to confirm the deletion.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Dear all,

I installed the updates this morning. Then went through the AMT credit again, checked for errors and e-filed the second time. In 30 min of second e-file, the federal tax return was accepted.

No change to the form, no change in the entries - nothing.

It was clearly a TT glitch that was resolved with their system update. TT is unnecessarily blaming IRS 8801 form - this form has had no updates in 2020. https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html?resultsPerPage=200&sortColumn=sortO...

Thanks to all those who responded to confirm this as a system wide issue. Good to all getting through the tax returns this year. TT has a lot of bugs this year and the staff is clueless.

View solution in original post

130 Replies

I filed my federal and state tax returns this afternoon. An hour later they were rejected. TT sent me an email saying, "We are reviewing updates to Form 8801 Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax. We expect to have the form released by approximately March 5th, 2020."

That’s what annoys me. If TT is working on an update, why did they let e-file go through? This is ridiculous. 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

As mentioned above, the issue is being looked into and a resolution is expected by March 5.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Doesn’t answer the question - there is no 8801 update on the IRS website. So what update are you making? Or is it a bug in TT that is being blamed on the form? And why did you let e-filing go through if you knew that the form is being updated. 

cfleming04
Returning Member

Yes!  I received the same thing.  Best part is when I log into my Turbo Tax account now, it says it can't find my file.  When I call the 1-800 # I can't get past the menu.  She won't recognize me.  Is there even such a thing as real live help from Turbo Tax anymore?  Did you speak with someone?

I had a different issue earlier this year - my TT desktop started crashing upon launch after 02/12 update. This got fixed after next round of updates. The TT people who helped the most were on Twitter - i messaged Twitter Support and they were responsive and tried to help. 

Too many bugs in 2019 TT. I have been using TT for > 10 years - never had as many issues. Lesson learned - keep saving intermediate PDF in case TT software doesn’t work or loses file in which case I can rebuild the tax return by manually copying the numbers from the PDF. 

aftaibe
Returning Member

I had the exact same issue. First, the status was rejected and then it says pending for both  Federal and State. I can't get an answer whether this revision will reduce my credit. I don't know\w what to do.

aftaibe
Returning Member

Do the changes in the Form cause a reduced credit?

I do not think anyone knows what the changes are. We all are in wait and watch mode until March 6 to know this. Because of TT's poor system this year, transmission of return will not give us a comfort. In the past, we had a greater confidence that the return will be accepted. Not anymore.

Yes. Update around Form 8801 caused my ~ $ 9000 credit to go to 0.  Instead of getting a ~ $ 11,000 total federal refund, I'm only getting ~ $2000.   For last year (2018) return my Form 8801 credit was about  $8500. Very confused

So it seems if you just "fix" return you will loose your form 8801 credit.  So go back trough your return and page after 8801 is form 6251 which is blank.  Seems TurboTax should pull data from 2018 return to populate but doesn't.  I manually grabbed necessary values from 2018 return and when I did, credits where restored exactly as they were before.  I am not confident at all this is correct though so waiting till I try to re-file.  Please post as you try this.

I had the same error.  Phone support was really no help.   I got an update today.  Not sure this fixes the problem. My refund did not change. What am I supposed to do now?   Resubmit?      Turbotax did not walk me through any change.    Very confusing.

I updated my TT and refiled again today, it was rejected again in less than an hour.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies