Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 tax return rejected - 8801 form update

I can only say that I share the experiences of everyone else.  No apparent changes after the initial rejection and waiting until 3/6 to refile with a rejection within an hour.  

arc17
Returning Member

There is an updated 8801 Form today (3/6/20).  However, while it appears to me that the new version fixes the bug that caused the IRS to reject my Federal Return, there is a new bug that is worse.  It erroneously increased my taxes by over $10K.  The error is on Line 25 of Form 8801.  It should enter the less of line 24 or 21, but instead it leaves Line 25 blank.

arc17
Returning Member

Did your tax owed go up (or tax refund go down)?  My experience today was that the Form 8801 fix addressed the problem from earlier in the week, but added a new problem.  It would allow me to efile, but Line 25 on Form 8801 was blank so the new bug eliminated my tax credit.  You should all check Form 8801 Line 25 to see if the updated Form 25 erroneously eliminated your tax credit.

I just got off the phone with support and was told that TT is still working on the Form 8801 issue.

I used the override feature on Form 8801 Line 25, but then TT would not let me submit it via efile.  So I will wait a few days for the software patch or file via paper.  Hope this helps.

xinsamwan
Returning Member

@fuzion I didn't really go through each step for AMT deduction in second time then submitted,  I thought TurboTax would just update the form in the background. In third time, I carefully went through each step until reach next section.

Queue_Underflow
Returning Member

Just got my return accepted (took about 2 hours), after getting rejected initially. All I did was update, then go back through the "credit for prior year AMT" section and confirm all my numbers. The Form 8801 revision on my accepted return was 03/02/20. I confirmed that the correct (and unchanged from the previous submission) amount was present on line 25.

My forms still show a 3/2/20 for 8801.

Finally, after deleting form 8801, then reentering all of the information. I resubmitted around 1:15, and it was accepted just after 2:30. 

zacrdad

Well it is March 6th.  No updated form.  No new date. No communication of any kind.  Maybe everyone it out of work due to the coronavirus.  Seems to be the answer for everything these days.

For those of you who had it accepted, do you use the downloaded version of turbotax or the online version?

In the online version, where do you see the revision date for the forms?

Mine just got accepted as well on my 3rd try.  The confusing part is when you click on "let's fix my return" it does nothing.  You have to open your federal return back up and go through each section that says "revisit".  Once I did this I also got an acceptance in two hours.  None of my numbers changed.  

Queue_Underflow
Returning Member

@sbsanon Downloaded version for me.

Downloaded update for CD starter.

Allan M

I use the dowloaded version of TT from CD on my Macbook (not the online version).

Today when I logged into TT, I was prompted to do a software update.

I went though all of the income, deductions and other credit sections of my return just to verify that none of the numbers changed.  I verified that all of the original information on Form 8801 and 6251 did not change (which it didn't). Line 25 on 8801 was calculated correctly and the original tax refund calculated did not change.  The only change to form 8801 was the revised date at the bottom of the page from 2/14/20 to 3/2/20.  

However I'm still hesitant to file electronically (efile) until some people confirm that their returns were accepted ok the first time that they were submitted. 

So far it was reported that some people have had their original rejected returns accepted and others haven't had any success yet. 

So I'm just going to wait awhile to see if there are any further issues.

Queue_Underflow
Returning Member

@Allan M I don't think there's much harm in trying and getting rejected again (except for not being able to do anything until you get a status update).

Allan M

Actually I haven't submitted it before, so I haven't had a reject.

That's why I hesitant. 🙄

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies