turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1099-NEC?

Where in Turbotax H&B desktop does one enter 1099-NEC?

Business income page shows only 1099-MISC.

Or is the product still out of date?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

1099-NEC?

this is a new IRS form.  currently there is no way to enter it. you'll have to wait for TT update.  when you ask. TT has not announced the date as yet. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1099-NEC?

That's just great. Taxcut has it in ther program now (but they've got other issues, unfortunately).

1099-NEC?

Turbotax is an incomplete program and it will not be fully operational until sometime in January or February for some things like states.   The program will undergo weekly updates as they complete sections ... this happens every year without exception.  

ANY tax software released by any company prior to about January 15 is only released for marketing and market share.  No program is complete and ready to file until the IRS approves their final forms and then individually reviews each program's implementation of the form.  And some tax situations aren't able to be filed until February or March, again mostly due to IRS delays.

NOW ... can I give you a hint ... you NEVER need to enter in the 1099 in the Sch C section at all ... the program does this for your use only since the IRS only gets a total of your income on the Sch C not all the 1099 info you enter.  Skip that screen and use the next one ... 

general income ADDITIONAL income in SE version.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

1099-NEC?

That is what I am doing now. However, a new issue is that now Turbotax *does* have a place to add 1099-NEC (under Personal->Other Common Income).

However, if I do so, I have to add a *new* business for that 1099-NEC. There is no option to use an existing business (predefined, imported from previous years), which tracks various items like depreciation and home office.

I can only hope that Intuit eventually figures it out and fixes the problem.

1099-NEC?

@Anonymous - are you trying to estimate? then I would suggest using the 1099-MISC....all they did was peal off some information that used to appear on the 1099-MISC and put it on the 1099-NEC

if you are working with the downloaded version, the 1099-NEC is there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1099-NEC?

I am using a downloaded program, and 099-NEC *is* there, as I posted above.

However, there is a bug in implementation.

Let's say you have an existing business set up in previous years, that is imported into this year's tax, and if that business until now was using 1099-MISC, and this year will receive 1099-NEC instead. When 1099-NEC is added (in "personal income"), Turbotax will only give an option to create a new business to attach that 1099-NEC to. The verbiage on that page suggests that there should be an option to select an existing business, but none of the existing business entities appear or can be selected.

If the business entity is used to track depreciation, or simply to compare YOY values - that won't work, as Turbotax forces user to create a new business to use 1099-NEC.

I hope they fix this soon.

On my end this is the first year when I am running Turbotax and HRBlock software side by side, and frankly HR Block is doing a better job so far (except for a single issue where Turbotax is ahead). HR software doesn't have this strange problem with 1099-NEC - simply lets me add that to an existing business, just like 1099-MISC.

Nzi95002
Returning Member

1099-NEC?

I have the same issue. There has to be an option in the business section carried over for 2019 to add the 1099-NEC and not create a new business.

1099-NEC?

TT Home & Business won't import all of my previous years' 1099s either.  I had 15 or so, and I need to keep 10 of them.  I do NOT want to re-enter them all over again!  And will the program recognize that they're now 1099-NEC instead of 1099-MISC?  I have a horrible feeling it won't. 

1099-NEC?

1099NEC you receive or ones you need to issue?  I just installed my Home & Business program and it let me transfer 2019 1099Misc into the 1099NEC form to give to my sub contractor.

Nzi95002
Returning Member

1099-NEC?

1099-NECs you receive. It doesn't roll the information over from previous year's 1099. In actually it looks like you have to create your business all over again.

1099-NEC?

i don't think TT has updated its software to handle 1099-NEC as of this date. this is a new form for 2020 that replaces 1099-MISC for nonemployee compensation. you can't enter nonemployee compensation on the 2020 1099-MISC. 

ghsbiz

1099-NEC?

You have to use the TT software for each specific year of returns you are wanting to open.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC?

Yes, you will find the form in Forms Mode.

Click the Open Form button on the upper left side of the screen and then type "1099" in the search box. You should see a list of forms including the 1099-NEC Worksheet.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-NEC?

My 1099 NEC keeps getting flagged in my federal review.  It then takes me to a Sched. C box that's empty and it says "double click...".  Everything in my taxes is correct, but it won't get me pass this review.  Turbo Taxes system is not prepared for the new 1099 NECs.  Please advise on how to get around this or let me know when it's fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies