turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC for spouse - software glitch? I am single and have no income to report with this form

I was almost finished filing when the final "easystep" option brought me back to a 1099-NEC that had never come up during my filing requesting that I fill out the payer EIN for my spouse's 1099-NEC. However, I  have no spouse (I'm filing as single) and I have no 1099-NEC to fill out this year - I worked only 1 job with a w-2. But the system will not let me file without this, so I'm stuck - has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to get technical support for this so I can file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

57 Replies

1099-NEC for spouse - software glitch? I am single and have no income to report with this form

1099-NEC has SEVERAL glitches on Turbo Tax and we are all stuck in limbo

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ below regarding 1099-NEC's. If it does not apply to you, see the link below for instructions on how to remove this form:

I am having terrible issues with the new 1099-NEC form, my husband and I are filing married jointly, however, I have a small income that use to be 1099-misc, since the change it is now 1099-NEC, however, even when I go in and point to my name being the one getting this it keeps popping over to my husband as receiveing the 1099-NEC, do I have to redo the whole thing and put my name first to have this work so I can claim it and do deductions, I have the full version of TurboTax home and business.

I have the exact same issue, only I have 3 1099-NEC forms entered.  Two belong to my husband and one to myself.  The program keeps defaulting and puts my name on all 3 with my social.  Obviously a glitch they need to fix.  Best of luck to you!

I plan on redoing them all and putting my name first to see if it works, only have redone this like 8 times.....things use to be so much simpler and easy to do this act.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information. It is our desire to find a resolution for you and others that might be having a similar experience in the program. Please see this link here for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What do I do for TurboTax download software, that is where I am having the issue.

Go to Federal in the left hand panel

Wages and Income

Click Edit/Add to right of  Income from Form 1099-NEC
On the next screen click the wastebasket to delete the 1099-NEC

If there is still a problem you can delete the form.  You have to be on a computer or in a browser.

Click Tax Tools on the left panel

Tools
Delete a form
Find the 1099-NEC and delete it.

fawn48340

Sam3d-- Same!!! my husband has the 1099-NEC I do not. but even when i click his name in the bullet. everything else  shows up on the following pages in my name s if it is mine. This is messing with everything else including city taxes i owe myself and that he does not.. they are saying i owe city for his income under my name....  i redone my taxes 12 times!!!!  same every time

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax customers are experiencing an issue linking a 1099-NEC to the correct person. The name on the NEC is reverting to the main taxpayer's name.

If you're experiencing the issue above, please go here to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

bdr5240
Returning Member

Same issue here.  Reverts to my name instead of my spouses.

Please refer to this article and click the link to be notified when this is resolved.

@ bdr5240

bdr5240
Returning Member

That is not the issue I'm having.

I enter my wife's 1099-NEC but it puts it under my name.

The article you linked is a different issue.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Entering the Form 1099-NEC directly through a specific Schedule C will match the ownership of that Form 1099-NEC to the taxpayer who runs the Schedule C business. 

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C for your spouse so that the income is reported directly as part of the Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

@bdr5240

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies