turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-NEC Box 1 Non employee Compensation Double click to link to Schedule C (*Blank*) What do I put in the blank? It will not let me file due to this.

Form 1099-NEC 2020 Nonemployee Compensation Worksheet
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
GloriaL
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC Box 1 Non employee Compensation Double click to link to Schedule C (*Blank*) What do I put in the blank? It will not let me file due to this.

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program needs to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

If you have already entered your 1099-NEC, you will need to revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC on its own and delete that entry.

Follow these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on the “Jump to 1099-NEC” link.

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the Trash can icon next to each one.

If you have not yet entered your 1099-NEC, you will enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return: 

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on the “Jump to schedule c” link.

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Please Note: Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C. 

If that occurs after entering your information, please review the article below and use the link in the article to enter your email address to be notified once this is resolved:  

TurboTax: Why Am I Unable to Link my 1099-NEC?

There is also another possible fix to this issue. For some reason TurboTax is not always accepting the 1099-NEC form and it has to be entered multiple times. This creates "ghost" 1099 forms. If this has happened go to Tax Tools on the left hand black bar, Click on Tools, and then Delete Forms. If you see multiple 1099-NECs you will need to delete them and reenter the 1099-NEC.

HighBFlat

YES! This worked! I tried the other instructions a zillion times. Thank you! 

jaffro12

@Esakitten This was perfect and fixed the problem! Thank you.

dfirist

That worked. Thank you!

mdiru

Yeah, that is not working for me. The program keeps deleting my 1099-NEC. Saying it is missing information.

Yet does not really delete it and will not indicate the information missing on the 1099-NEC form. So I'm stuck in a bad software design loop.  I did notice it lowered my state and federal taxes owed yet left my self-employment income showing in the income summary.  

apesut

You saved my a**. I was having a mental breakdown over this. Thank you.

jd2310

This worked!!

Thanks!

srmehta4

I'm having the same issues, too.  I followed these instructions but it's still asking me to fill in schedule C.

This is driving me crazy! 

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Once you input your 1099-NEC, you should answer all of the questions after the input screen so it flows through to your Schedule C. If it has not been assigned, TurboTax will give you an error message. 

To input your 1099-NEC's, please follow the steps below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results. 
  4. Click Edit next to your 1099-NEC. 
  5. Continue past the information entered.  
  6. On the page titled Guess what? You can deduct expenses for the example work choose Yes, I have expenses to deduct.
  7. On the page titled Self-employed 1099-NEC Income select the Schedule C you are inputting this income for. If this is a new Schedule C for this year, you can add a new business on this screen.

Once you input all your 1099-NEC's, it should flow through to your Schedule C.

To get to your Schedule C in order to review or enter your expenses, you may use the following shortcut in TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for Sch C with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to Sch C link at the top of the search results. 
  4. On the page titled Your 2020 self-employed work summary, you should see your 1099-NEC's listed with the corresponding amount. 
  5. Click review next to the income from your 1099-NEC. 
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions on the following pages.

@srmehta4

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vanefuller
Returning Member

none of these solutions are working for me. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I have three 1099-NEC that all are having the same issue. Need help! 

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

You must have deleted all the forms. There should be nothing NEC left in your return. Then go to your business, edit the business. Scroll down to income and add them inside the business income section. This is necessary for your SE to correctly compute.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This was the only way that worked! Thank you! I thought I was going to go crazy. 

vanefuller
Returning Member

All 3 1099-NEC are listed. I still get the same error.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies