turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 B/Form 8949- inputting transactions

Hello,

I received a 1099-b from an investment account I use. It lists multiple transactions for the same stocks but at different cost basis. Would I input each of them as a separate row or just summarize the totals for each stock?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You can do it either way. A third option may be to import the information if your financial information is a TurboTax Import Partner. That way you don't have to type in all the trades. 

If you want to enter a summary, see How do I enter a large number of stock transactions in TurboTax Online? and scroll down to How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions? You'll need to mail in your financial detail along with form 8453 within three days of e-filing your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I'll note that all the transactions for the same stock have the same sold date (again, only the cost basis is different) Both have various for the dates purchased. I'd still do one for each cost basis for the same stock?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends on what you want to do. You can do one entry for each cost basis of the same stock but the most important action is to keep long term and short term sales separated.  It's all right to summarize one sale for each period, by keeping the long term separate, then TurboTax knows the best tax advantage for you when the long term sales have a gain.  There is a reduced tax on long term capital gains.

• Long term is a holding period of more than one year and receives capital gain tax treatment (0%, 10%, 15%, 20% depending on your regular rate of tax)
  • Short term is a holding period of one year or less and receives ordinary gain tax treatment (your regular rate)

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to the following address within three days after the IRS accepts your tax return: 

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

Thanks!

And to further confirm,

I only need to mail anything in if I'm summarizing the sales and efiling. If I'm entering individually, I don't need to send anything in, even when efiling?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

For e-filing, you do not need to mail in anything additional unless the program tells you to do so.  

@moneyman91

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies