turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Payment due after filing adjustment but IRS says you don't have anything due

I have unique situation. I made a mistake in 2019 taxes due to which I got some extra refund about $500, I filed adjustment of 1040 when I realized my mistake and paid back the due amount whatever was calculated by Turbo tax. Few months later I got a letter from IRS saying I owe $9.41 due to change in increase/decrease of interest (or whatever) and due date is Jan 2020. I didn't see the letter until I started filing in March and then after realizing I already missed the due date, I called IRS office to find the new amount  and if there are any penalties. They looked up my record and said your account is not showing any due amount. I told them the letter say $9.41 is due, and the guy said something like 'if its under a certain amount we don't chase it'  (don't recall exactly what reason he provided, vaguely recall he said under $25). I was not able to complete the tax in time and filing it now at the eleventh hour 🙂 

What's the recommended option to handle this case:

a) ignore, since IRS says my account does not show any pending balance

b) contact IRS again 

c) pay like $15 to be on the safe side when filing tax by Friday. If so, where do I enter that amount in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This has nothing to do with your 2020 tax return and sending a payment with the 2020 return will just result in a lot of questions and confusion.  The $9.41 is a separate issue and you will probably never hear about it again, because someone probably wrote it off, rather than spend time and effort to try to collect it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This has nothing to do with your 2020 tax return and sending a payment with the 2020 return will just result in a lot of questions and confusion.  The $9.41 is a separate issue and you will probably never hear about it again, because someone probably wrote it off, rather than spend time and effort to try to collect it.

MissLil
Returning Member

I agree with George.  This has to do with your 2019 return.  They will probably ignore it. IF you want to be a good citizen, you can send in the money with a voucher for 2019. There is not a deadline for this. If it were more, you might need to pay quickly, but it is not due by 10/15 as that is the deadline for 2020 tax returns. 

Thanks @GeorgeDenseff  and @MissLil  

now that you've mentioned I am recalling the term the IRS guy used was write-off i.e. for such a small amount they might have write-off instead of chasing it and that's there was nothing due. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies