turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Overseas property

I had a property overseas that I acquired back in 2012 prior to coming into the U.S., the apartment was fully funded by my parents and grandparents who are all non-U.S. citizens. 

I moved to the U.S. in 2015 prior to the delivery date. The apartment was never used, remained vacant and I did not receive any income for it, hence, never reported it in my tax returns because it was acquired prior to me being a U.S. person and second because it never generated any income for me. In 2023, I sold this apartment for $71,000 loss due to local market changes. 
My questions:

1- Does moving the remaining money from the sale (a little bit over $100k) from overseas to the U.S. require tax reporting since it was a gift from my parents/grandparents who fully paid for this apartment and it was acquired prior to my move to the U.S.? 
2- I have both the acquisition and sale certificates/contracts to prove the $71k loss, can i use this loss to offset any capital gain taxes in 2023 tax return? or I cannot claim the loss because the apartment was purchased using gifted money?
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies