Solved: Out-of-state inheritance tax

palefty123

Out-of-state inheritance tax

I received a "cash" inheritance from my deceased mother.  She was a Florida state resident.  I live in PA which does have an inheritance tax.  However, my understanding is that, for PA, you do "not" have to report this cash inheritance because it came from an "out of state" resident.  Can someone confirm my understanding?

ToddL99

Out-of-state inheritance tax

That is correct - since your mother was not a resident of PA and the property you inherited was not located in PA at the time of her passing, it is not subject tp the PA inheritance tax.

From  Pennsylvania Inheritance Tax & Safe Deposit Boxes:

"In the case of a nonresident decedent, all real and tangible personal property located in Pennsylvania at the decedent’s death is taxable. Intangible personal property of a nonresident decedent is not taxable."

palefty123

Out-of-state inheritance tax

ToddL99

Out-of-state inheritance tax

palefty123

Out-of-state inheritance tax