Miles32

Out of parents house

Hello I recently moved out of my parents house and into my own apartment I also got a full-time salary position and graduated from college. I did not pay my college tuition I also did not pay my housing fees for the first half of the year but since I have moved out I have paid rent utilities and insurance am I able to file as a dependent?

Donna F 77

Out of parents house

Congratulations on moving out and your new job!!  It sounds like you will most definitely be claiming your own dependency on your tax return.  Your parents would only be able to claim if you meet the following criteria for them:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent/00/267...

Donna F 77

Out of parents house

Miles32

Out of parents house

So I should be filing as an independent for the 2021 tax year? just because I have been living on my own for half the year? 

Donna F 77

Out of parents house

As long as you don't meet the criteria to be a dependent of your parents - yes, you will claim yourself.  On your Form 1040, you will not click the box for "Claimed as a Dependent."