Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Operating systems for 2020 TurboTax MAC download does NOT say anything about Apple’s mac BIG SUR. WILL 2020 TurboTax MAC download work on Apple’s macOS BIG SUR?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

Operating systems for 2020 TurboTax MAC download does NOT say anything about Apple’s mac BIG SUR. WILL 2020 TurboTax MAC download work on Apple’s macOS BIG SUR?

Requirements say OR LATER ...

Minimum system requirements for TurboTax Mac software

Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2020 software for Mac Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home Business editions.

Operating System

• 2020: macOS Mojave 10.14 or later
  • 2019: macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later
  • 2018: macOS X v.10.12 or later (64-bit required)
  • 2017: macOS X v10.11 or later (64-bit required)
  • 2016: macOS X v10.9 or higher (64-bit required)

Processor: Multi-core Intel processor with 64-bit support

Hard Drive Space

• 2019 – 2020: 1 GB
  • 2016 –  2018: 650 MB

RAM: 2 GB or more recommended

CD/DVD drive if installing from the CD.

Internet connection: 1 Mbps modem (Broadband connection highly recommended). Required for product activation, software updates, and optional online features

Monitor resolution: 1024×768 or higher recommended

Mac-compatible printer: If you want to print your tax return or any tax forms.

We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2015 or earlier tax years.

MHD1

In the past with TurboTax, when software says "or later" it refers to that operation system VERSION. Big Sur is not an Intel based operating system, so it is completely different than OS Mojave.

Please respond that Min REQ does support OS Big Sur.

The ONLY info available now is what has been posted.  

You can try installing it.  If it doesn't work you can get a refund.

@MHD1 wrote:

In the past with TurboTax, when software says "or later" it refers to that operation system VERSION. Big Sur is not an Intel based operating system, so it is completely different than OS Mojave.

Please respond that Min REQ does support OS Big Sur.

TurboTax used the Apple supplied developer tools so if Apple tools supports it then it should work.    Big Sur will run in Intel based Macs.

Big Sur runs on the following Macs:
  • MacBook: Early 2015 or newer.
  • MacBook Air: Mid 2013 or newer.
  • MacBook Pro: Late 2013 or newer.
  • Mac Mini: Late 2014 or newer.
  • iMac: Mid 2014 or newer.
  • iMac Pro.
  • Mac Pro: Late 2013 or newer.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
farmboy42

Turbo Tax 2020 MAC Book Pro download work on Apple’s macOS BIG SUR?

Are you asking about Intuit's Professional programs  or  the Turbotax DIY personal programs ?

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for Windows…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Here are the system requirements to install Turbo Tax for MAC…..

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

Online version system requirements

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/turbotax-online-system-requirements/00/25...

kg53

Are the listed minimum system requirements for the disc version or the download version, or both?  My MacBook uses MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

For both.  The Download is the same as the CD.

CD and download are the same thing and have the same requirements... If you cannot upgrade your system and do not want to buy a new computer then you can still use the ONLINE version instead.  

American
Returning Member

I have a iMac with Sierra 10.13.6 and Apple tells me I can't upgrade to 

Mojave or later.  This would mean that I have to buy a new computer.

Not really what I want to do; I am a senior and semi retired.  Any suggestions?

American
Returning Member

I have been using the disc version; do you think the download requirement is different? I wouldn't think so.

@American wrote:

I have a iMac with Sierra 10.13.6 and Apple tells me I can't upgrade to 

Mojave or later.  This would mean that I have to buy a new computer.

Not really what I want to do; I am a senior and semi retired.  Any suggestions?

You can use the TurboTax online editions for tax year 2020 - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

If you used the TurboTax desktop editions for tax year 2019 you can transfer the 2019 tax data to the 2020 online tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring prior year tax data from your computer to the current year online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

@American wrote:

I have been using the disc version; do you think the download requirement is different? I wouldn't think so.

The requirement is the same for either the CD or the Download.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies