Your employer has until 2/1/21 to either mail you a paper W-2 or make one available online. They need to provide online access instructions if that it their choice. When they will be available for importing (if they are an import partner) is a question only they can answer.
Requirements to successfully import your W-2 directly from your employer
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (we determine this by your employer's EIN)
- Your W-2 must be available for import – most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline
- We'll need the Box 1 amount from your W-2
- You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub. More info
- In some cases, we'll need the Box d Control Number from your W-2, but only if your payroll provider requires this for the import (not all of them do).
If you're unable to import directly from your employer, you'll have a chance to snap a picture of your W-2 using your smart phone camera.
Let's import your W-2!
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if you don't already have it open.
- Inside TurboTax, search for W-2 (upper- or lower case, with or without the dash) and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
- A W-2 screen will open. On this screen you can add, edit or delete as necessary.
- Enter the 9-digit Employer ID Number from your W-2, click Continue, and follow the onscreen instructions to import your W-2.
- If you're unable to import directly from your employer, you will then get an option to snap a picture of your W-2.
If you don't have your employer's EIN or would prefer to skip the import options, you can open a screen to manually enter the info from your W-2 instead.