turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cornkburn

On my W4 I claimed myself as a dependent, so I have 1 on my W4. But after filing my W2's, I noticed on the printed form it said no dependents at the top.. is my W4 wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

On my W4 I claimed myself as a dependent, so I have 1 on my W4. But after filing my W2's, I noticed on the printed form it said no dependents at the top.. is my W4 wrong?

On your Form W4, you normally put the number of exemptions you claim on your Tax Return, which in your case is 1 (yourself), so that is correct.  

On your Tax Return, you claim your Exemption amount but don't list yourself as a "Dependent" since you are the Taxpayer.  It is assumed that you are claiming yourself (meaning taking your Exemption) unless you check the box that indicates you are "a dependent of another."

If this doesn't clear up your question, please comment below so I can assist you further.

romano_ma

So it is okay to add myself as a dependent on my W4 form?

Its my first job and I live alone and pay for everything myself.

You do not claim yourself as a dependent on your tax return.   You can only claim someone ELSE as a dependent on your tax return.   Your W-4 does not go to the IRS.   Your W-4 only goes to your employer so that the employer knows how much tax to withhold from your paychecks.   If you do not have enough withheld, then you could owe tax when you prepare your tax return.   If you have more than your tax liability withheld, then you get a refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/what-to-know-about-the-new-2020-irs-form-w-4-emplo...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies