turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stjuliane

When I try to e-file, box #9 comes up as an issue that needs to be reviewed. The ‘verification code’ on my hardcopy is same as what is being questioned. Wht 2 do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

When I try to e-file, box #9 comes up as an issue that needs to be reviewed. The ‘verification code’ on my hardcopy is same as what is being questioned. Wht 2 do?

If the TurboTax program is preventing you from continuing with (or e-filing) your return, you can leave Box 9 blank (this may require you to delete the Form W-2 and re-enter it in the W-2 interview -  How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?). See below.

From the IRS article IRS Expands W-2 Verification Code for Filing Season 2018:

For filing season 2018, the Internal Revenue Service has expanded the pilot to verify the authenticity of Form W-2 data. This initiative is one in a series of steps implemented by the Security Summit to combat tax-related identity theft and refund fraud.

The objective is to verify Form W-2 data submitted by taxpayers on e-filed individual tax returns. The IRS has partnered with certain payroll service providers (PSPs) to include a 16-character verification code on many Forms W-2 provided to employees.

For 2018:

• A Form W-2 with a verification code will display it in box 9, newly labeled “Verification Code.”
  • A Form W-2 without a verification code may include a blank box 9 or no box 9 at all.
  • The verification code will be displayed in four groups of four alphanumeric characters, separated by hyphens. Example: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
  • The only valid characters are the letters A-F and the numerals 0-9.
  • The verification code will appear on Form W-2 copies B ("To be filed with employee's federal tax return") and C ("For employee's records").
  • Taxpayers without a verification code on their Form(s) W-2 may leave the verification code box blank in their tax software product.

Taxpayers and tax professionals are urged to enter the verification code when prompted by software, as it can speed the processing of the return and the issuance of the refund. However, omitted and incorrect verification codes will not delay the processing of a tax return.

The form will include these instructions to taxpayers and tax preparers: “Box 9. If you are e-filing and if there is a code in this box, enter it when prompted by your software. This code assists the IRS in validating the W-2 data submitted with your return. The code is not entered on paper-filed returns.”

The verification code will not be included in Forms W-2 or W-2 data submitted by the PSPs to the Social Security Administration or any state or local departments of revenue. Nor will this pilot affect state and local income tax returns or paper federal returns.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
ToddL

Box #9 of what form?
stjuliane

On my W2 form

I haven’t got all the way to “file” yet because my state forms aren’t available yet but reading your post I’m worried. I’m worried because I also have a verification code on line 9 of my W2. When I reached out to TT about a separate issue (saying I moved when I haven’t) they told me my code was incorrect. They did also say that we could file without it. And it wouldn’t affect refund. But I want to use it because IRS says it’ll speed up refund. So, what to do? I wish they would respond to your question. Good luck!
ToddL

If the TurboTax program is preventing you from continuing with (or e-filing) your return, you can leave Box 9 blank (this may require you to delete the Form W-2 and re-enter it in the W-2 interview -  How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?). See below.

From the IRS article IRS Expands W-2 Verification Code for Filing Season 2018:

For filing season 2018, the Internal Revenue Service has expanded the pilot to verify the authenticity of Form W-2 data. This initiative is one in a series of steps implemented by the Security Summit to combat tax-related identity theft and refund fraud.

The objective is to verify Form W-2 data submitted by taxpayers on e-filed individual tax returns. The IRS has partnered with certain payroll service providers (PSPs) to include a 16-character verification code on many Forms W-2 provided to employees.

For 2018:

• A Form W-2 with a verification code will display it in box 9, newly labeled “Verification Code.”
  • A Form W-2 without a verification code may include a blank box 9 or no box 9 at all.
  • The verification code will be displayed in four groups of four alphanumeric characters, separated by hyphens. Example: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.
  • The only valid characters are the letters A-F and the numerals 0-9.
  • The verification code will appear on Form W-2 copies B ("To be filed with employee's federal tax return") and C ("For employee's records").
  • Taxpayers without a verification code on their Form(s) W-2 may leave the verification code box blank in their tax software product.

Taxpayers and tax professionals are urged to enter the verification code when prompted by software, as it can speed the processing of the return and the issuance of the refund. However, omitted and incorrect verification codes will not delay the processing of a tax return.

The form will include these instructions to taxpayers and tax preparers: “Box 9. If you are e-filing and if there is a code in this box, enter it when prompted by your software. This code assists the IRS in validating the W-2 data submitted with your return. The code is not entered on paper-filed returns.”

The verification code will not be included in Forms W-2 or W-2 data submitted by the PSPs to the Social Security Administration or any state or local departments of revenue. Nor will this pilot affect state and local income tax returns or paper federal returns.

Thank you for replying. It was helpful. My only question is, and I understand that you may not be able to answer it, why is it an issue with Turbo Tax? This isn’t the first year the codes have been on W2s. Is there a fix forthcoming?
ToddL

I would need additional information about what you are seeing when the program asks you to review the entry (a screenshot - no personal information, please) You can attach it to your question using Edit). I would need to find out if you can continue and file the return without clearing the 'review' question.

My W-2 has no verification code in Box 9. My daughter's 2018 tax return was hacked, so  how can I get a verification code so that I have added security when e-filing?

You cannot.  Either your employer entered a code or they did not.  Only if your employer used a payroll service company that partners with the IRS will there be a code.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
4Sweettax4
Returning Member

I need the verification code for my email: [email address removed]

I have tried and tried using [removed]

Merrill [removed]

4Sweettax4
Returning Member

I need the verification code for my email. I have no W-2 forms.

4Sweettax4
Returning Member

I have no W-2 forms I am retired. I need the code to file my taxes!

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having problems with your verification code, please see the Help Article here for further assistance.  

@4Sweettax4

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies