turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On a 1099-misc, the payers federal identification number is xxx-xx-xxxx.I have name and address of payer but nothing else. How do I file it?

Payer refuses to provide SSN for federal identification number. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

On a 1099-misc, the payers federal identification number is xxx-xx-xxxx.I have name and address of payer but nothing else. How do I file it?

If you are unable to obtain the identification before the filing deadline enter zeroes in the space where an SSN or EIN would go.

This will allow you to file your tax return, even if your payee will not provide his ID number.

This will cause the IRS to contact you for clarification. Once you are contacted by the IRS, you can provide them with the information showing how you made attempts to collect the proper identification information.  They will then take action against the payer.

[Edited 03/11/2020 | 1:41 pm PDT]

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

If you are unable to obtain the identification before the filing deadline enter zeroes in the space where an SSN or EIN would go.

This will allow you to file your tax return, even if your payee will not provide his ID number.

This will cause the IRS to contact you for clarification. Once you are contacted by the IRS, you can provide them with the information showing how you made attempts to collect the proper identification information.  They will then take action against the payer.

[Edited 03/11/2020 | 1:41 pm PDT]

cpdris

I have a social security number for an interest income 1099. Turbo tax says it is not valid, because it is not a business tax id number. It will not let me file .

You don't need to enter the EIN or ssn for interest.  You can skip that part.  Are you trying to import it?

Don't enter the bank name and don't try to import it.  It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  At the bottom pick Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick I'll Type it in Myself

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies