turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did i mess up by claiming myself on my w4?

I am 25 and completely dependent on my parents (disability that prevents me from standing for long periods but isn't covered in terms of SSI or Medicaid, I'm working on getting a sit-down job) and I am claimed by my father as a dependent despite the child deduction not applying for me. I am currently attending school through fafsa/pell grant, and use my parents income taxes to fill out the fafsa. This semester year [2018-2019] I qualified for a work-study position that paid me $1,349 last year. When filling out my w-4 for employment,  I claimed myself by accident in terms of Lines A and D. I know I can't amend my w-4 from last year. Can my father still claim me and get the financial aid deductible or do I have to file separately? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BobB7

Yes, your father can still claim you and get any education credits.  Having the W4 as you indicated will have no effect in your case.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BobB7

Yes, your father can still claim you and get any education credits.  Having the W4 as you indicated will have no effect in your case.

I forgot to mention that I put a 1 on lines A and D. Does that affect it?
BobB7

Not with that amount of income.

Okay. Thank you for the help.
BobB7

glad to help.

Okay, sorry, just. One more question. Im claimed by my father because I still live at home and my disability prevents me from working most jobs but is not recognized by the government as something disability benefits require (foot deformity). Does that affect it, my being able-bodied but not? This is my first actual filing and I need to be sure.
BobB7

He can claim you as a dependent (your income is less than 4150 and he provides your support and you are his relative), but not as a "dependent child".
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies