mrsjohnston1

Okay so for the stimulus checks if I had a baby at the beginning of this year would I get the 500 for her even if I didnt claim her on taxes?

bluedeb

Since your baby was born in 2020, you will not receive a stimulus money for her.  When you file your 2020 taxes in 2021, you will get the credit then.  You would need to have her SSN & claim her as a dependent.

If your child was born in 2020 you will get the stimulus money on your 2020 tax return when you file it next year.  You will not get it now.  The stimulus money is based on the tax return you filed in 2018 or 2019, and a child born in 2020 cannot be entered on a 2019 return.

Jerry-1938

Sorry but NO.

Stimulus is based on taxes filed last year, for 2018. Your child was born in 2020.

greenriver100

Last year was 2019, not 2018.

Mike9241

sorry no. the advance payment was based on the 18 or 19 return but the actual credit is based on the 2020 return. 

It's hard to follow the answers posted here.  This thread was started in April 2020 about getting the stimulus for a child born in 2020.  In 2020 the IRS used your 2018 or 2019 return to send out the Stimulus Checks.  BUT it is really based on your 2020 return we will be filing in January 2021.  So you will get the first stimulus amount for a child born in 2020.

The Stimulus Check is really based on 2020 tax return. Any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30. If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return. But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any. Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."