turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

loch-7

If i am not an irs ea or cpa can i file taxes in other states (i know in ny i need nyprin)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

If i am not an irs ea or cpa can i file taxes in other states (i know in ny i need nyprin)

As @macuser_22 mentioned , you cannot use TurboTax for preparing returns  as a business.  To provide tax preparation service for money, you need a PTIN ( from the IRS ) with zero representation rights or PTIN  with limited representation rights if you particiapte in the AFSP program. Also most states have some kind of requirements   for education and continuing education if you want to go into business for  yourself  doing  tax preparation work.  There are many companies that offer commercial tax preparation software including Intuit , the parent enitity of TurboTax. Suggest you visit IRS ( TaxPro tab ) and your state  departtment of revenue  -- there is a lot information out there.  If you need more specific suggestion, please  comment with your  resident state name, state you want to prepare  for and type of returns you intend to prepare ( indiavidual,  business, fiduciary, estate  etc. )

View solution in original post

12 Replies

If you mean can you e-file a state tax return through TurboTax when the 2017 e-file season opens sometime in January of 2018, then yes, you can e-file all states that you have purchased after your e-filed Federal return has been accepted by the IRS.    You cannot e-file a state without first e-fileing the Federal return because of security reasons.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you are asking because you file tax returns for payment then no, TurboTax is not licensed for professional use, only personal self-prepared tax returns can use TurbpTax.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
loch-7

what if i want to file returns for payment and not use turbo tax

Use professional tax software
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/">https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/</a>
loch-7

so if i use proconnect can i efile all states in the USA if i just have a ptin?

Ask your question in the support groups for the professional products - this forum supports TurboTax, not the pro series.:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://accountants-community.intuit.com/products/proconnect-help-en-us">https://accountants-communi...>
loch-7

ok thank you so much!!
pk
Level 15
Level 15

As @macuser_22 mentioned , you cannot use TurboTax for preparing returns  as a business.  To provide tax preparation service for money, you need a PTIN ( from the IRS ) with zero representation rights or PTIN  with limited representation rights if you particiapte in the AFSP program. Also most states have some kind of requirements   for education and continuing education if you want to go into business for  yourself  doing  tax preparation work.  There are many companies that offer commercial tax preparation software including Intuit , the parent enitity of TurboTax. Suggest you visit IRS ( TaxPro tab ) and your state  departtment of revenue  -- there is a lot information out there.  If you need more specific suggestion, please  comment with your  resident state name, state you want to prepare  for and type of returns you intend to prepare ( indiavidual,  business, fiduciary, estate  etc. )

This is the same user who has asked about doing a debt consolidation business, as well as house flipping.
loch-7

so what?

It makes us wonder if you are serious, or if this is a homework assignment. This forum is for Turbotax software users to help them understand how to use the income tax program. We cannot answer legal questions.
loch-7

oh i understand i thought this was a forum that if you have a tax question you can ask here.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies