Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MacMike14

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

I have not filed 2019 tax, but did 18's. IRS has deposited coronavirus fund from 2018 tax return info, but I don't qualify for relief as my 2019 gross income around 200k. Do IRS acting on new tax form for 2019/2020 indicating COVID stimulus, or do I need to return deposited money back to IRS or keep it as is. 

paulnlauri
Returning Member

I go to IRS website, says payment status not available, nowhere have i read anything about where the monies are ( I am owed $2400), for people that had to pay in 2018, I haven't done 19 because I owe again!  Please advise 

@paulnlauri wrote:

I go to IRS website, says payment status not available, nowhere have i read anything about where the monies are ( I am owed $2400), for people that had to pay in 2018, I haven't done 19 because I owe again!  Please advise 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions#paymentnot

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

@MacMike14 

Not an accountant, but my opinion is the amount of that deposit would go back to the IRS when you file your 2020TY return in April 2021. The stimulus payment is like an advance against the 2020 tax return. If you don't really qualify, then the adjustment will be reflected with your 2020 1040 filing. At least that would be the logical way to do it.

@MacMike14 

@cbco7 

The stimulus is an advance of the 2020 credit based of either the 2019 or 2018 info they have on file at this time ... on the 2020 return you will reconcile the amount you got in advance with the amount you are eligible for on the 2020 return not the 2019 return ...

If you got too little you will get more ... got too much and you get to keep it.  And none of it is taxable ...  It is just that simple. 

Here is what I realized after much trial and error.   IRS DOES NOT HAVE YOUR 2019 INFO IF YOU FILED THRU TURBOTAX.

Enter your 2018 info....the EXACT amount you either owed or was refunded in 2018.   Your 2018 address THEN it will ask for your direct deposit information. If you make any errors it will lock you out.  Hope this helps. 

Hello,

I filed with TurboTax and had a premium service (in order to get a refund on student loan-related payments) and have not received my stimulus check. When I paid for TurboTax, I did take it out of my refund. When I go to the Get Payment website by the IRS it says that information is not available. Is this because the IRS tried to deposit money in a temporary account? What do I do next?

N how do you know that? You can say that 100% positive? Like an irs or turbo tax person told you that?

You may not want to hear this but yours is even MORE complicated.  If you ended up paying TurboTax anything, whatever STIMULUS you were entitled to was sent to a TEMPORARY BANK ACCOUNT in TurboTax name so that they get their fees paid FIRST!  What is happening is that these "bank accounts" are RETURNING the funds to the IRS.  Next step, because the IRS is NOT even processing 2019 returns, a check will be mailed to your 2018 filing address.   Just assume that when you use the GET MY PAYMENT tool, that you have NOT filed your 2019 and use the info... Address, etc.  From your 2018 return.  It worked for me as it FINALLY asked me for my direct deposit information.  If you DID NOT RECEIVE A DD REFUND IN 2018 The IRS does not have your bank info.  Regardless, if you filed 2019 with TurboTax, the IRS DID NOT receive it, despite what TT says. Hope this helps. 

@Mhale629 

By this point in time, I'm actually convinced that is the case.

Somehow, TurboTax has screwed up and the IRS doesn't have my filling info for 2019 — which, ironically, is the only year I've filed to date (since I started working that year).

Now I can't file through the "never filed" options, and can't even use the IRS's self-filing options.

This is the only conclusion I can reach when the IRS's tools say their information doesn't match with mine, when there is literally no other information in record and I filed in January precisely to avoid these kind of issues.

You can't blame TurboTax for glitches in the IRS Get My Payment.  TurboTax has nothing to do with the IRS app.  The following is from the IRS.

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
    • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

I figured out this glitch because I had a different address in 2018.  When I checked the first time I used my 2019 info and it locked me out.  The next time is used ALL 2018 info and had no problem.  If you notice, TT tells you IMMEDIATELY that your info for 2019 was RECEIVED AND ACCEPTED by the IRS... How is this possible with NO ONE WORKING? Frankly, TT has NO WAY of knowing anything the IRS knows... TT does not have access to those Federal records...... And now we know... TT has been harvesting ALL our info for years and to what end?  It took something like this to find it out.  Those who are not tax savvy are willing to shell out 40 dollars for TT to file a State return which can be done for free.  I have even called TT to ensure the IRS had my DD info..... They assured me that the IRS did.  They actually lied to me... They have absolutely NO way of knowing that.  PROOF, when I finally got into the GET MY PAYMENT, the first thing the IRS said was that they DID NOT have my DD info. I'm just sick over this.... So many families need this money and they are being lied to. So disgusted.  I will never use another tax prep company again. 

paulnlauri
Returning Member

We have not filed 19 yet in 18 we owed money

@Mhale629   It is the IRS that states whether your return was accepted or not.  Accepted only means that your return was transmitted to the IRS.  It does not mean that the IRS has fully processed your return.  Since the IRS is behind, it can be very likely that they have not entered your 2019 information into their system.  That is why your 2018 information went through.

@bluedeb 

I most definitely can.

TurboTax doesn't offer the option to include Direct Deposit information in their forms when you owe taxes to the IRS like other HR Tax Softwares (which I won't mention to avoid raising issues) do.

At least to people in my situation, we wouldn't be as concerned if we knew the IRS had our Direct Deposit information. Since I wasn't able to include it in my Turbo-Tax Tax Returns, nor am I able to update/input it through IRS's tool, I can most definitely say Turbo Tax is at least partially responsible for the issue.

So don't say a customer can't blame a service provider for an inability to fulfill certain requirements. Specially when there is a disclaimer at the end of your post saying there isn't absolute certainty to your statements.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies