Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

@zw1996 

Technically, the stimulus check will be based on your 2020 income. They're just basing themselves on 2019's return (or 2018's if you don't have 2019) to estimate it. If you qualify for it during the rest of the year but receive less due to a higher income during 2018, the remnant of it will be given as a tax credit for 2020.

Just another reason for thinking every action thru carefully ... what you should have done is WAIT to file the 2019 return until the stimulus checks went out ... then you would have gotten it on based the 2018 information. 

NOW all you can do is see where you sit on the 2020 return ... if you are entitled to more you will get it on the 2020 return and there is nothing you can do about this if the 2019 return has been successfully filed. 

When I filled my 2019 tax return I chose to have my fees taken out of my refund. I did include my direct deposit information on my return. However,out my refund my was 1st issued to Santa Barbara Bank before it was direct deposited into my account. When the stimulus checks are released how will I get my money?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

"We are still waiting for IRS guidance regarding updating or providing direct deposit information for the stimulus payments and how they will be distributed to these type of accounts. We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:IRS Coronavirus Tax ReliefTurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates"

[Edited 04/08/2020 | 1:00pm PDT].

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is it true that your tax return can’t be claimed by student loan debt during this time?

If I have owe child support will I still get the stimulus check or will it go to Child support enforcement?

@Gennabeck38 wrote:

If I have owe child support will I still get the stimulus check or will it go to Child support enforcement?

The stimulus payment will be used for any child support owed.

Caramirez0718
Returning Member

Hi,

I’ve already e-filed my 2019 taxes and I owed money, which I’ve already paid in full. Will the stimulus money be deposited into the account I had my tax payment taken out of? If not, is there anything I can do to provide my bank account to the IRS, so they can direct deposit? 

Will it be given to the person it’s owed to? Or just back to the state?

LMWatson9

For my 2018 taxes, I had my refund check sent to my house. I have since moved out-of state and my mail now arrives at my new address. Haven't yet filed 2019 taxes (I'd rather have a tax pro help me, but I'm hesitant to go anywhere right now due to COVID-19).

Anyway, will I receive the stimulus check at my new address?

Thank you. 

@LMWatson9 wrote:

For my 2018 taxes, I had my refund check sent to my house. I have since moved out-of state and my mail now arrives at my new address. Haven't yet filed 2019 taxes (I'd rather have a tax pro help me, but I'm hesitant to go anywhere right now due to COVID-19).

Anyway, will I receive the stimulus check at my new address?

Thank you. 

Go to this IRS website for a change of address - https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes

LMWatson9

@DoninGAThank you, Don! Be well. 

@Bnakol wrote:

Is it true that your tax return can’t be claimed by student loan debt during this time?

True. Only child support can be withheld from stimulus checks; student loan debt & back taxes will NOT be withheld. (Edit: Student loan debt also won't be withheld from actual refunds, though back taxes & most other offsets will be.)

Elear2787

My daycare is closed due to Covid-19.  They are still charging me under the contract despite not providing any service (and require 30 days notice to terminate).   Would these payments (or the loss of paid for services) due to Covid-19 be deductable on 2020 as a disaster/casualty loss since it arises from a declared disaster?  If so, would it be the payments or the loss of service that would be the casualty, because I'm paying a slightly reduced rate while they are closed so the value of the lost services is higher than the cash outlay.  

My wife and I are also using paid leave to provide child care.  Would the involuntary conversion of the paid leave for this purpose, rather than for a holiday or other intended purpose, impact the analysis?  Would that be a casualty gain offset by the loss for example? 

Getting an ERROR when trying to update direct deposit information via TurboTax stimulus registration.

PLEASE HELP if you can. Here is my situation:

I filed my 2018 taxes, and entered my direct deposit information to receive my refund. Recently, I had to close that old bank account and open a new one.

I have not filed my 2019 taxes and cannot at this time. Thus, the IRS will use my 2018 return in order to send my stimulus check.

Therefore, I need to update my direct deposit information with the IRS. I tried to do this through the TurboTax stimulus registration portal. I entered all my information, and clicked "Send my submission."

However, when I did so, after the Transmitting loading screen, I got sent to a screen with this message:

Your transmission didn't go through
We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
We're sorry, we have found errors in your return that prevent us from efiling. Please return to the "Review" tab to resolve these issues.

There is no Review tab. I have looked everywhere. There is no Review tab. I need this money for rent and I might lose my apartment. There is no way to contact TurboTax; I have the Free Edition and cannot afford to upgrade and also buy groceries. There is no way to contact the IRS. I have tried to transmit multiple times. I have tried calling the IRS multiple times; they are no longer accepting calls from anyone. There is no Review tab.

If anyone is reading this, please please please help if you can.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies