Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LIZZARDS1

NUA OR ROLLOVER

Wells Fargo NON-ESOP PLAN IS BEING CLOSED.  I HAVE 25 DAYS TO DECIDE TO ROLLOVER TO IRA OR USE NUA.  I HAVE 855,000 IN PLAN.  STOCK IS VALUED AT 517,000 AND  COST BASIS IS 345,000.  NUA IS 172,000.  I AM 67 YEARS OLD.   SHOULD I PAY TAXES ON COST BASIS AND DISTRIBUTE STOCK AND THEN JUST ROLLOVER THE REMAINING 338,000 OR DO A COMPLETE ROLLOVER?

THANKING EVERYONE IN ADVANCE.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AJ
Level 6

NUA OR ROLLOVER

This is not an easy one-size-fits-all decision. The decision is specific to your financial details.  The amount of money here is significant, and you want to get it right.  If rolled over, you already know that the appreciation and future dividends will be taxed as ordinary income when money is withdrawn from IRA. But if you can afford to pay the tax on the basis, and if the penalties that come with increasing income are not too severe, then future dividends and gains have the benefit of long-term capital gain rates.  You might want to consider services of a professional planner to work through your specific options.  Understand that the NUA option will cause your income to spike significantly, and that could push you up several tax brackets, and that could create additional taxes and limit some deductions.  Check to verify if this is an all-or-nothing decision with regard to the NUA stock.  Savings plans, of which I am aware, permit some of the stock to be taken with NUA and can roll over the remainder into the IRA.  People on the Internet might not have enough information to give a high-quality answer that meets your specific situation and needs. You need to do the math for your specific scenarios.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies