bhuether

Nonresident Spouse has no income - need to submit some income declaration form with joint return?

Hi, I am US citizen with foreign spouse. We live overseas. I am about ready to mail a joint return along with a W-7 and a statement of election for spouse to be considered US citizen for tax purposes, but wanted to be sure I didn't forget anything.  My spouse has no income to report. Do I still need to fill out some form declaring no income? If so, what form(s)?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is no form to indicate spouse has no income.   a spouse with no income is not uncommon regardless of whether the spouse is a US citizen or not.  literally the filing of the return reporting no income for your spouse is the declaration.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

bhuether

Great, thanks!