turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brian5

Will the desktop (CD/Download) version of TurboTax store a copy of my return on my Intuit account for historical recordkeeping like when I file with TurboTax Online?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Will the desktop (CD/Download) version of TurboTax store a copy of my return on my Intuit account for historical recordkeeping like when I file with TurboTax Online?

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

NONE  of the Downloaded versions will do that ... they are never stored online with the Online versions ... they are only stored on the computer you use or any other storage medium you used.  It is your responsibility to save and safeguard that info. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

store a copy of the PDF offline.  there are numerous threads about peoples computer's hard drive failing, which makes recovery impossible

If you go back to use the Online version you can upload the return to the "My Docs" storage tool  HOWEVER if you ever stop using the Online version you will lose access to all the stored files.   So it is always better for you to keep your own files on your computer and to more than one removable storage unit. 

Does My Docs™ automatically store my tax returns?

Yes. My DocsTM not only lets you upload and store up to 100 MB of your own tax documents (scanned receipts, W-2s, and things like that), it also stores all the TurboTax Online returns filed using that account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies