turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought some home appliances during 2016 an started paying installments. Continued paying 2 months into 2017. Can I multiply my state sales tax rate to money paid in 2017?

E.g., if my tax state sales rate is 5% and I paid $1000, can I simply multiply these out or do I need an actual receipt that breaks these amounts down?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Bought some home appliances during 2016 an started paying installments. Continued paying 2 months into 2017. Can I multiply my state sales tax rate to money paid in 2017?

No, your state sales tax should have been deducted on your 2016 return.  Even though you have not technically paid the taxes, you have incurred the liability so you are considered to have paid it all in 2016. 

If you did not take the full deduction in 2016 you can follow these instructions to Amend Your Return.. You will see your refund/amount due set back to $0, you will then be able to enter your the rest of your sales tax. Your amended return must be paper filed.  When you get to the end, it may "appear" that you can e-file it, but it must be mailed.  It will take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.  Once submitted you can check the status of your amended return here Where's My Amended Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, your state sales tax should have been deducted on your 2016 return.  Even though you have not technically paid the taxes, you have incurred the liability so you are considered to have paid it all in 2016. 

If you did not take the full deduction in 2016 you can follow these instructions to Amend Your Return.. You will see your refund/amount due set back to $0, you will then be able to enter your the rest of your sales tax. Your amended return must be paper filed.  When you get to the end, it may "appear" that you can e-file it, but it must be mailed.  It will take up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.  Once submitted you can check the status of your amended return here Where's My Amended Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This was very helpful and it makes sense. However, I still have some doubts since I haven't been able to find any resources online that deal with this (could be that my googling skills aren't that great- but I digress). Could you please tell me what you are basing your answer on (when you say they should have been deducted w/ 2016 return)? If you could provide online links, that could help too.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies